Sign in to follow this  
smassoni

Import Settings Doesn't Work

smassoni

I've had this fail on me before and after trying to search for similar issues but having no luck solving the problem myself, I gave up and simply spent the time recreating all my settings. I'm now in the place where I need to have this functionality work again with a lot more settings in place and would really like to see this working, but I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or not. I exported my settings with no issue it created a file names "PageLines-PlatformPro-Settings-20110816.dat.txt", but when trying to import that file into my new site, after making sure I want to proceed the page just craps out. I thought I remembered seeing a comment about removing the ".txt" part so that it's a ".dat" file but I've tried that and it craps out as well, just a blank page at the following url "/wp-admin/admin.php?page=pagelines". I've also tried removing the ".dat" to make it a ".txt" file but same issues. Both sites are running the same version of WP and the same version of Platform Pro. Any help would be appreciated. It would take me way too many hours to recreate all my settings. Thanks. Also apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, searching on "import settings" and "import theme settings" returned no relevant results.

Rob

I'm sending this up to the developers.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

smassoni

Not sure what rejecting or accepting an answer does, but since I guess I'm waiting to hear from a developer I'll reject since it keeps bugging me to do one or the other.

Kate

When you save it, it should just be saving as a ".dat" file. Any chance there's an option you can change on save (that's converting it to a .dat.txt)?

smassoni

Thanks Kate. I just tried that. Safari was adding the .txt, so I just did the whole process again using chrome. it saved it as just a .dat file but on import it still crapped out after the confirmation window and just gave me a blank page at the following url: /wp-admin/admin.php?page=pagelines

Rob

As it's now in the hands of the developers, I'll leave it there. However, if you FTP to where the .dat file is located, it might help to verify that there's no added extension.

Simon

Did you edit the file in any way?

smassoni

@pross: No, simply saved from one site and imported to the other. @rangelone: not sure what you mean. The .dat file was downloaded from the export button. If the file could just be ftp'd somewhere on my server, I'm happy to do that.

Simon

If you get a 'white screen' that usually means a PHP fatel error and it will normally produce a error_log file in the dir where it failed, so look in wp-admin with ftp and check out the last few lines of the log

smassoni

there are a ton of files in the wp-admin directory. Any suggestion as to what file or where exactly I should be looking? I'm not seeing anything like an "error_log" file.

Rob

It would likely have a .log or .txt extension.

smassoni

seeing no such .log or .txt file. Could it be something like plugin conflicts or something? At this point I fear I'm just going to have to start going through and manual re-creating all my settings, which is really frustrating but this is now starting to slow me down too much.

Simon

Is your host cpanel? There is nearly always a way to read the server error logs from your hosting panel.

ankoor
Hi, did this issue get resolved? I've found the same problem and need to replicate the style across all blogs

kastelic
Ankoor, if you are recieving a blank screen when importing, were you able to check your error logs in cpanel or otherwise?

antonella
Hello, This is happening to me too. (I had been able to successfully do an import on another site a month back, so I know it works.) I am looking at the error logs, but I don't know what to look for. It seems to be saying that the file doesn't exist. I'm not sure what to do now! Thanks, Antonella

Danny
Hi Antonella, If you have been able to successfully do an import in the past, has anything changed with your setup this time around, for example, different plugins or using an earlier version of PlatformPro or Wordpress ?

Please search our forums, before posting!

johnlatham
Hello, I'm having the same problem. I am trying to upload settings to a new pagelines. Any help?

johnlatham
I guess so yeah, few extra plugins. Is there any way to duplicate a whole pagelines to another site?

johnlatham
Actually no settings we're changed on the new site. I have simply tried to upload the .dat file to the new wordpress where it says to do so. I just get a blank screen...

Simon
Please open a new thread with your issue stating what framework and version you are exporting from/to.

Mike
Exactly the same thing here exporting from and to 2.1.5 (on different servers). No error log in ftp and no cpanel. Really frustrating.

Simon
Please start a new thread, this one is a year old and for PlatformPro.