Sign in to follow this  
chrisrichter

New page.custom.php, No Sidebars

chrisrichter

I was about to get very happy with myself for having created my first page and child section. The page shows as a page template, I am able to add the child section to it. I have added to functions.php....actually all things seemed great until I noticed how empty everything was to the right. Where do I go about learning how to include the sidebar elements to it? In the main WP 'edit page,' I have the ability to select hide for both primary/secondary sidebar. Both are deselected. Any help is appreciated. I've been fumbling through documentation and forums for a bit too long :)

kastelic

What happens when you set the layout mode for the page to one-sidebar-right under Pagelines Meta Settings on the page edit screen?

cornell2

Actually I am having incredibly frustrating issues with 'section' pages (box pages and highlight pages) and getting a simple sidebar to appear where, well, a sidebar should - on the d*mn side. I have the layout set for a single right sidebar. I have widgets in the sidebar. The sidebar appears on all blog /post pages ... But when I set up, for instance, a boxes page ... (and unhide the primary sidebar) - no sidebar appears. hmmm but wait, I gather (despite the scavenger hunt like documentation) that sidebars don't appear unless you add a 'content' section (which I don't need since everything on that page resides inside the boxes). but OK - I drag the content into the default boxes page template. Now - the primary "sidebar" appears either on top of the boxes (not on the side) or underneath the boxes... but never on the side. same if the page is, for instance a highlight page. I searched the documentation. I've sat through an hour of video and have just returned from a 4 hour expedition searching the forums. Oh and I have experimented more than thomas edison trying to invent a low energy light bulb. I am a pretty smart guy but this simple little design task has me feeling like a novice. This is one of the many times a simple layout task has taken scores of hours to track down (for instance figuring out how to change certain margins or other css options takes similar heroic efforts. Sorry to be a downer here - Can someone put me out of my misery and suggest a solution? Thanks!

chrisrichter

I appreciate the replies. Changes to the PageLines Meta Settings didn't trigger any changes immediately. Cornell, sorry to capitalize on your misery, but moving Content Area in Template Setup / Displayed Sections for the page from show by default, to hide by default, and back to show by default...an inexplicable voila...now I have sidebars. I think I now have a new, perhaps better problem. I'm now seeing sidebars. My Template has two Sections; Content Area and then Section.Custom. Ideally, I want my Section.Custom and the sidebars aligned below the main nav. It appears that the sidebars align to the top of the Content Area so I can't put Section.Custom on top. However, if I put Content Area on top with no content, it leaves a couple hundred pixel gap before starting Section.Custom, but the sidebars are aligned to nav. Is there a way to control the height of Content Area so that, when empty, I can get both sidebars and Section.Custom to align to top? Thank you for any help.

catrina

Yes, you can change the height of the content area with CSS. Do you want the content area's height to change on one page or all pages? Also, can you please post a link to your site?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse