Sign in to follow this  
pcsmythe

Cufon

pcsmythe

I added Myriad Pro to the site via Cufon and wanted to know just how much of the theme is supposed to change with it. Looks to me like h1 has changed, but I don't really see anything else except the headers on the feature page. Now, using Firebug, I see Myriad Pro as the default font even though I haven't installed it on the site and Cufon is clicked off.

cmunns

The majority of what is replaced is the headers. Using cufon font replacement is a neat trick but shouldn't be used to replace an entire site because it's javascript and will make your site go incredibly slow.

Jackey

Hi, I've been playing around with the cufon features on iBlogPro4 and ecoPro. With or without Cufon enabled, you can install any font you like as default. The problem is, that you do not know if your client has the font to show it. If he doesn't, the fallback values provide similar looking fonts, although elegant, it is not what you intend to show. For example if `font-family:"Calibri","Lucida Grande","Lucida Sans Unicode",Arial,Verdana,sans-serif;` it will show the font the client has, evaluated from left to right. So if a client has Arial, and does not have "Calibri","Lucida Grande"or"Lucida Sans Unicode" it shows Arial! Now there is Cufon! No more guessing! This will enable you to show fonts regardless what your client has installed. This is great for your Headers and subheaders. By default pagelines has pre-coded a few headlines to show in Cufon fonts (like those in the feature boxes). Pagelines also provides the possibility to replace text with certain CSS selectors. You can replace h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 but I recommend to be more specific what selectors you want to be replaced. When you enter this you will probably loose all extra text attributes of your menus (like shadows). It is also ill advised to cufon-replace bread text <p>, as it will slow down the site considerably. For my site I found that the following setting suited me: `h1, h2, .textcontent h3, .textcontent h5, .textcontent h6, .fboxes h3,#sidebar .wtitle, #respond h3,h3#comments,#welcome .greeting, .fboxtitle` This does not interfere with the menu's and the headers of the sidebars. I like this new feature very much!

pcsmythe

Thanks. I hadn't come across Cufon before.

Jackey

After using it for two weeks I found that this creates so much traffic, that I decided to turn it off completely.