Sign in to follow this  
o_st

Controlling Thumbnail Size of Clips

o_st

Hi there, i was wondering how someone can modify the Thumbnail Size of the images of the clips that are displayed in magazine mode. I think they must be scaled versions of the smallest Thumbnail Versions that you can define in Worpress. But where in the theme files can i define the size? best, oliver

alisamski

Dashboard, Settings, Media.... there are sizes there that can be changed. Note the WP settings not theme settings....

o_st

I know that, but the images displayed in the clip-heading are much tinier than the size i defined in the wordpress settings, so it must be a theme setting and not a wordpress setting. i defined something like 200px as the thumbnail-size, but the clip images are not even 50px

o_st

Sorry, you don't get the point. The Thumbnail Size is fine. I defined 2 Post that are displayed in full width. The Thumbnails of those are displayed correctly with the size i defined in wordpress. Thats ok. I only wanna change the size of the clip thumbnails (which ARE scaled versions of the normal thumbs). And it IS a theme setting.

kgstew

Could you send over a URL so we can take a look?

alisamski

I also found this in the forums.... to add to custom CSS... .clip-thumb img { width:50px; height:50px; float:left; margin:0 10px 10px 0;}

o_st

Well it is a solution but maybe theres one where i do not have to define the exact size in pixels. if the heights of the original thumbs differ, the dimensions aren't displayed correctly. Any further ideas?

kastelic

Change it to:

.clip-thumb img {
	max-width:50px;
	max-height:50px;
	float:left;
	margin:0 10px 10px 0;}

o_st

Thanks, but that doesn't actually change the size...

artemesia66

There's a size (40x40) thats being specified somewhere in the php, so that the img tag has those values attached to it locally in html. Unless you override it specifically in css, eg. setting height and width, the html processes last and will be the size you see. So a max-height or max-width tag will just give you the 40px dimension, because the image is set to that size in its tag. Sorry I'm not php savvy enough to tell you how to alter it so those 40x40 values aren't in the html. Properly, I think they should be set in css anyway.

o_st

@catrina: i do not have a productive site online yet. @artemisia66: Thanks for the reply. Yes, that is exactly what i think. The dimensions are defined in the php ant not in the css. I could not find it in the php files i looked up. If i try to override the dimensions in the css i only can do it by giving exact values for height and width. That works ok - but only as long as the original thumbnail size has the same ratio as the values i wrote n the css. if you define wordpress thumbnails with only a fixed width and variable height your clip image will be distorted.

artemesia66

@o_st: That is indeed the problem. I can't find it in the php either, but I don't really know where to look. I don't think it's ideal that it's set in the php. It seems like a parameter that should either be accessible through pagelines settings and accessed through a php variable, or controllable through css.

holly

Yay a last i found a solution .... its in this PHP file : - template.postloop.php - line 136 : <?php the_post_thumbnail(array( 40, 40 ));?> - just change to what you need although the results can be a bit funky if you change too much, i changed to 90 x 90 and it looks grate :)

holly
Have to be careful though as i just found out as I modified a PHP page directly I lost the modification when i made an update. You can see the result here : http://www.histoiredejardin.com/leblog/