Sign in to follow this  
marmaristasarim

Creating Custom Post Pages assistance

marmaristasarim

Hello I am working on a travel site and need to create custom post page templates. There are main categories for these posts. For example one category is for hotels, one is for yacht charters, one is for car rental companies, one for tours, etc. Each of these types of post templates need to have their own fields (which I will create) when they are being filled out in admin so that they show the field group and correct related information for that particular post template. I have read through Advanced Design documents, have base installed and need to clarify my understanding on creating templates. Do I: 1) I take the code contents from template.postloop.php and copy them into a new file, hypothetically, template.hotels.php? 2) Then customize it (template.hotels.php) with my fields to wherever I want it to show on that particular template post page? 3) Upload it to the base directory on my server? 4) ...I'm lost really... Or am I just totally getting this all wrong? For page creation in pp documents it states: Add File called page.[page-id].php to Base Add this code to that file (see page.base.php): /* Template Name: Your Page Name */ setup_pagelines_template(); Add ???pagelines_add_page(???[page-id]???, ???[Page Name]???);??™ to the child functions.php file But don't want to create a page template. I would like to create a post page template so that I can connect the appropriate category to it, like you do for normal post pages. Any help will be very much appreciated. Thank you and forgive my ignorance :)

catrina

Do you want this post page template to have the behavior of a category page?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

marmaristasarim

I suppose that would be correct. You know how there are page templates like highlight, features, boxes, etc. Well I was thinking I could have post pages like those. Right now there is only one type of post page / standard wp. I couldn't sleep last night thinking that maybe should I just create different sections for each of the type of page I want for like filling hotel details, or tour details, or airport transfer details, or car rental details, etc. and then just select them when I am creating a post? Because the only difference between all of them is the table of fields that need to be filled out per type of page, like the real estate modules. But I would like to know, now that you have mentioned it, how to create a category page. Thank you Catrina for your attention on this subject. :) Looking forward to your reply.

kastelic

I think you want to start with the plugin Custom Post Types UI which will allow you to create all these new post types. In conjuction with Advanced Custom Fields, which allows you to create all these nice easy fields for each post type, you should be well on your way.

marmaristasarim

Thank you Kastelic for your reply.... I will try those steps then :)