Sign in to follow this  
myriambahi

Showing only Excerpts of my posts on the Home Page ?

myriambahi

Hello, I am using Platform Pro, and I would like to have on my home page only Excerpts of my posts. I chose the option "Magazine Layout Mode" on the Blog and Post section. It is indeed said that " Magazine layout mode makes use of post "clips". These are summarized excerpts shown at half the width of the main content column.Note: There is an option for showing "full-width" posts on your main "posts" page. However the full posts are all still shown on the page. It is weird because despite the fact that full posts are shown, there is still a "continue reading" at the end of each post, like the full article was considered itself as an Excerpt. I cannot find anywhere on the Post page or on the Blog and Post section, a way to show only 2 or 3 lines of each post (e.g a true excerpt). Any help would be greatly appreciated ! Thank you Myriam

cmunns

What are all the options you have configured in the Page and Post options? Can you give us a screenshot or your steup?

myriambahi
I just resent the same question. still not solved 9 months later. How to send you a screenshot of my configuration setting ? Thank you Myriam

Rob
Myriam, You can use one of the image services like Flickr, or add the image to your site and in either case, paste the link here. As you vanished without a reply to Adam's answer, we had no idea if this was or wasn't resolved.

Former PageLines Moderator, Food Expert and Raconteur

myriambahi
Yes it is my fault. I have never seen that I got a reply. I just uploaded somes screenshot on flicker showing 1) my configuration setting 2) the home page of my blog. As you will see, I have only 2 choices > getting only the title of each post, or getting the full post. In this second case, what is strange is that there is "continue reading" as the end of each full post as it was an extract. http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Rob
Myriam, as this is an older topic, and I'm unsure of your setup. Forgive me but I have some questions: 1. Do you have PlatformBase 1.4.1 uploaded and activated or are you using PlatformPro as your active theme? 2. What version of PlatformPro do you have? 3. Have you added any customizations such as changes to files, hooks or particularly CSS? 4. Have you checked your plugins? When sites are older, even just months, they may not have been monitored for plugin compatibility. Make sure each plugin is compatible with WP 3.3.1 and that you've updated WP on your site. 5. Are you actually placing excerpts in the post excerpt field? In each post, there's a place to add your own excerpt. If you don't see this, click on any post's edit page on the "Screen Options" and then check the box for Excerpts. 6. Are you using any excerpt plugins? There are plugins that will take a certain number of characters or words and add them to the excerpt, though it doesn't add it to the excerpt field. 7. Did you consider upgrading to PageLines Framework? Most of this stuff is working great in our second generation product. If you didn't, you may want to write to [email protected] and ask about upgrade options.

Rob
Oh, BTW, under Post Excerpt or Summary Handling, check the box for Posts/Blog Pages and save.

myriambahi
1. Do you have PlatformBase 1.4.1 uploaded and activated or are you using PlatformPro as your active theme? [b]I am using Plaftform Pro as my active theme. I just tried to activate PlatformBase 1.4.1 just to see if it changed anything but 1) still impossible to have excerpts 2) my menu bar disappeared and the title of my Pages were displayed instead --> I moved back to PlatformPro.[/b] 2. What version of PlatformPro do you have? [b]I have PlatformPro 1.5.3[/b] 3. Have you added any customizations such as changes to files, hooks or particularly CSS? [b]Not intentionally at least. I do not understand a thing about what is CSS, hooks, codes etc.. so I am not modifying it.[/b] 4. Have you checked your plugins? When sites are older, even just months, they may not have been monitored for plugin compatibility. Make sure each plugin is compatible with WP 3.3.1 and that you've updated WP on your site. [b]All of them have been updated and I am not using a lot of plugin (just basic one like Google +, Stat, Contact form.[/b] 5. Are you actually placing excerpts in the post excerpt field? In each post, there's a place to add your own excerpt. If you don't see this, click on any post's edit page on the "Screen Options" and then check the box for Excerpts. [b]No there is not the possibility. I checked everywere. On the post edit page, I cannot create myself an excerpt (see screenshot I just uploaded on Flicker)[/b] What is strange is that Platform Pro seems to consider that the whole post is actually the extract. This might be why at the end of each post on my home page, you can see the "continue reading" that is supposed to be displayed only after extracts. 6. Are you using any excerpt plugins? [b]There are plugins that will take a certain number of characters or words and add them to the excerpt, though it doesn't add it to the excerpt field. I just updloaded the plugin "Auto excerpt everywhere" but nowhere I see the option to create an excerpt.[/b] 7. Did you consider upgrading to PageLines Framework? Most of this stuff is working great in our second generation product. If you didn't, you may want to write to [email protected] and ask about upgrade options. [b]Do I have to pay something for this updated ? I already bought 2 themes from Pagelines and frankly, it is not too much asking than to having the very basics options working properly..[/b]

Danny
Hi, Can you disable any plug-in you have activated that is related to excerpts please. Then in your Blog and Post setting enable the following options. [b]Post Excerpt or Summary Handling[/b] Check everything except for Single Post Pages [b]Full Post Content[/b] Make sure everything is unchecked. Once you have done the above, please check to see if this resolves your issue. If however, this doesn't please reply and in your reply, provide a screenshot of one of your posts via the Post editor screen please.

Please search our forums, before posting!

myriambahi
Super, it is working!! I actually have more than the Title and less than the full blog Post. I really don't understand because I had the feeling that I already tried this configuration. Thank you, thank you,thank you ! I have however another question: the excerpts shown are really really small (basically only 10 words) . How could I get a 3/5 lines excerpts. ? Also could you tell me how to provide a screenshot vit the "post editor screen" ? Thank you ! Myriam

myriambahi
Additional point: the problem about the 10 words eycerpts is only on the home page. When I navigate into the menu/categories, I have "normal" excerpts (6 lines).

Danny
Hi, Can you go to your Wordpress Admin Dashboard > Posts > select a post (any it doesn't matter) and then take a screenshot of the post editor screen, make sure the screenshot has the except section included please. To take a screenshot: Windows: Press Print screen and then go to Paint and paste the image, save it and then upload it to an image hosting service like Imageshack, Imgkk etc... or use Jing. Mac: Use the free app called Skitch or something similar like Jing.

Please search our forums, before posting!

myriambahi
Hi Danny, I don t know what happened but now, 6 lines excerpts are shown on my home page as well. So my problem is solved. Platform pro is really a mystery to me.. Now I want to know how to displa more than 10 excerpts on the home page but i will open a new post on this. Thank you again for all your help.