Sign in to follow this  
kreilly

New update available?

kreilly

When I logged in this morning I got a message on my dashboard that said there is a new update to PlatformPro; the readme file said Google fonts were integrated, among other changes. I'd really like to use Google fonts ... can't find mention of this update anywhere in the Launchpad area, though, and when I downloaded and reinstalled Google fonts options don't show up. I did go ahead and set the auto-update options in the "misc settings" area, but I'd like to have this update now. Is there actually an update, or was this some kind of bug? If there is, how do I get it? thanks!

Simon

What version of PlatformPro do you have installed now?

kreilly

I don't remember from when I was installing. Where would I find that info?

Simon

Click themes, on the left in wordpress, the versions are all next to theme names.

kreilly

I see--I have PlatformPro 1.5.2 and Base 1.4.1. Are Google fonts integrated into this version? Thanks!

Simon

Yes they are. In the typography tab, all the fonts with G are google fonts.

kreilly

Hi--Yes, I've seen those and it's great you have them. But how about all the fonts available at http://www.google.com/webfonts? I'm guessing you don't have that integrated. I'm just a typography fan and want something very particular for the site. I'd use Cufon--which is integrated into a theme on another site I have--but I'm still learning CSS and a bit confused about making sure I set all the selectors I need, without leaving one out or missing one. Hmm... are all the selectors for all text in the theme included in the "@ Default Type Faces" section of the PlatformPro style.css file? If I can be sure all selectors are in that section, I'll try adding them to the Cufon selectors field in the typography section. Two other questions with Cufon: what should the url field look like? I actually tried implementing it the other day and wasn't successful, perhaps because I had the url wrong. Also, does the .js file go right in the wp-content/themes/platformbase folder, or should it go in a subdirectory of platformbase? Thanks in advance!

Simon

There is an example function in platformbase to add a googlefont. You can edit that to add a custom google font, we cant add them all there are thousands!

kreilly

OK, that's good, but I don't know how to do that. Can you answer my questions about Cufon? It looks like that might be the best way to go.

Simon

Its really easy, open platformbase/functions.php look for this section:

add_filter ( 'pagelines_foundry', 'my_google_font' );
	function my_google_font( $thefoundry ) {
		$myfont = array( 'Ubuntu' => array(
				'name' => 'Ubuntu',
				'family' => '"Ubuntu", arial, serif',
				'web_safe' => true,
				'google' => true,
				'monospace' => false
				)
			);
		return array_merge( $thefoundry, $myfont );
	}

In this case the Ubuntu font is being made available. Change the Ubuntu to the name of whatever google font, that all you have to do, the new font will be available to you now in typography. As for Cufon, I have to admit I really dont know anything about it ;) There are other people on here with Cufon and Typekit experience, hopefully they will chime in!

kreilly

That's great--haven't had a chance to try it yet, but will soon. Thanks!