Sign in to follow this  
taxguycpa

overflow problem

taxguycpa

my site www.cafetax.com has some custom code you guys helped me with in the past. on the fight, the tertiary sidebar is the width of both the primary and secondary. With changes, I could eliminate the second bar and remove the code and remove the problem, but I am wondering if there is a way to keep it the way it is, without having the tertiary overlap the footer on pages that are not as long as the main page.. like http://www.cafetax.com/tag/credit-vs-deduction/ any code suggestions would be great.. also, my code for the widget titles seems to work for all the sidebars but the universal sidebar that shows the email subscription.. not sure why. I would like to have each widget have a title header like I have with some separation between the widgets so I can use a back color for the widget itself.. i appreciate help. you guys are great.

taxguycpa

Ive made progress with changes.. please disregard.. I think my questions will attach to the changes I have made so far.

catrina

Okay, so it is okay to close this discussion or do you think you'll need further assistance?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

taxguycpa

Ok, two questions that may be beyond my abilities :) 1) Can I use the feature slider as a "recent post tool" For example, 5 features that auto scroll through recent posts that it automatically pulls into the slider as the post is published? 2) Is there a way to "uncollapse' the post excerpt on the home page? It would be cool to expand or collapse the excerpt on the main page and still have the post page. If anyone has any leads not this other issue.. 3) Im also trying to figure out how to take 2 categories and turn them into different blog sections of my site. For example, one category as taxes and the other as retirement planning. The blogs can all show on the main page, but I want to segregate the two topics, as if there are two blogs in one.. I am not sure how to make different pages and apply different layouts to different pages very well..

catrina

1) There is a way to use the feature slider to display posts from a certain category by going to Settings > Feature Settings > Post Category > selecting the category of posts you want in the slider. You can create a category and add your posts to it then select it in that setting. 2) There might be a plugin for that. Search for collapsing/expanding plugins on Google or the WordPress plugin directory: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/ 3) It's possible to use Custom Menus (Appearance > Menus) to add the 2 categories as 2 links in the navigation menu. What do you want displayed in the Taxes page and the Retirement Planning page? How different do you want them to be?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

taxguycpa

Im struggling with number 2. I have not tried #1 yet but I will. I do want to have to main focuses on the site, tax and personal finance. I am trying to figure out the best way to center that focus for the user. Also, unless you search it is very difficult to navigate to all the posted content on the site. Poor entry navigation on my part. Is there a way to make the category pages a magazine layout while keeping the homepage the blog layout?

catrina

This plugin might be what you're looking for when it comes to expandable content: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/post-teaser/ The elements that are displayed in the category pages can be disabled via PageLines Settings > Blog And Posts.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

taxguycpa

Im not sure how to make the categories show as a magazine layout since my main page is a blog format. I looked through it but can't figure that out. I'll look at the plugin, thanks.

taxguycpa

Any more help on making category pages magazine layout only or any kind of customization for those pages?