Sign in to follow this  
rweiss

Modify templates in latest Platform Pro

rweiss

How do I modify - for example - the feature template? I want to use it for my home page, but add code to allow for recent posts to also display. I can't seem to locate that template the way the latest Platform Pro is setup.

cmunns

What exactly are you trying to do?

rweiss

I'm using the feature page template for my home page, so that I can use all the cool stuff (the slider, the callout, etc.). But I also want to display 4-6 of the most recent posts - since it is posts that this client focuses on. If I could build the home page from posts, and still use the feature slider, etc. on that page that would be fine - but I couldn't figure out how to make that happen. If I hide the slider by default - so it doesn't show on all pages, how do I make it show on the home page if the home page is made up of posts? That was my initial problem. So, I made the home page a Page, and now I can't put recent posts on it.

Kate

Hey Rick, A couple of options. First, you could write a hook and add it to your functions.php file to display the most recent posts on the home page. Or, you could simply create a custom template (instructions are in functions.php of your platformbase folder), assign it to the home page, and go from there. You'll be able to add all of the Pagelines features, and it will show up in your Settings->Template Setup area.

rweiss

This is part of what is frustrating me. I don't know what the PLatform base is - but my functions.php file is pretty empty of anything: This is all that is in it: <?php /* THEME INITIALIZATION This file loads the core framework for Platform which handles everything. This theme copyright © 2008-2010 PageLines */ require_once(TEMPLATEPATH . "/includes/core.init.php"); When I look at the original Platform theme (before I bought Pro) I get the same functions.php file. So, when I read in this forum that the instructions are in the Base functions.php file I am a bit lost. Rick

Simon

Rick, PlatFormbase is a 'child' theme, you need to download it from the members section, install it and activate it. It will inherit all the parent theme files and options, you can then safely edit the child theme. If you edit the parent files you can never update.

rweiss

Sheesh - guess it helps to read all the documentation, eh? I use it for each issue I have - but didn't actually look at the one on basic installation.

rweiss

I need to reopen this. I set up a home page template in base as suggested above. I can now add sections to that page. But that doesn't get the recent posts that I need - because the home page is a page now, and not the recent posts that we want in magazine layout. I installed the list-category-post plugin hoping that would help - but it doesn't allow for the recent posts - only categories or specific posts, and it ignore the magazine layout approach I want. Kate talks about adding a hook to the functions.php but I am finding little that is helpful on how to write hooks in the forum or documentation. I have so much of Platform Pro figured out - but this is critical. I need my home page to have sections - but be allowed to display recent posts in magazine layout mode.