Sign in to follow this  
kinek

Deployment issues

kinek

So this may seem odd but the company I work for has decided to go through the traditional QA/Staging/Production using Wordpress and the PlatformBase theme. We seem to be having some deployment issues however as the settings for the theme are resetting when we move from one environment to the next. Any idea on how to ensure the search box stays hidden, and the sidebars do not all show up on all the pages, etc. We want the same settings as we already created on the previous environment. Thanks,

Simon

Are you editing the settings file?

kinek

I am not sure what you mean as I was not aware there was a settings file. Where is the settings file located? The workaround for us is to export the settings file on the first environment and import it on the new one, but I want to know why the settings are not staying the same if we are doing a direct migration to the new environment. If you could let me know where the settings file is located that could help me figure this out.s

Simon

I mean exporting the pagelines settings, there is an export button at the bottom of the settings page. The file is serialized though, so editing will break it unless you re-serialize it (common mistake). So you just exporting the whole db? Are the domains the same?

kinek

Yes, we use the export/import at the bottom of the Pagelines settings to make it work now. We are simply importing the entire database so thats why I believe I shouldn't have to export/import the settings for PAgelines. We haven't been editing the file because we don't know where to edit it...lol. The URL's are not the same because they are different environments. We simply change the URLS in the database soon as we import it. Can someone tell my why we need to import/export the settings for the theme when we move the entire database and theme to a new URL desination?

Simon

You shouldnt need to, I was just making sure you were not doing that ;) Be careful when you edit the db, any serialized settings WILL break if you edit them, all the theme options are serialized for example. There are some useful tips here: http://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_The_Site_URL