Sign in to follow this  
thanp73

Child page for secondary nav, not working?

thanp73

IS there a trick to get child pages as secondary nav working? I have the box checked in settings. I have a primary, footer, and sidebar menu set up in wordpress and would lots of pages, and would like a secondary menu of child pages to appear under the primary nav bar... but nothing i do seems to make this work. any suggestions?

cmunns

is this child menu going to be automatic? if so do you have these pages appropriately assigned as children to specific pages?

thanp73

yes, i would like it to be automatic, wherein there are 4-5 'parent' pages on the menu, and if you click on any one, the child pages of that parent appear in a sub menu row. i've seen this on many many sites, and it looks cleaner sometimes than dropdowns. unfortunately, no matter how i configure things on multiple sites running 1.5.2 platform and new version wordpress, this doesn't happen. yes, they are designated as child pages in the page hierarchy in wordpress. I can of course do this in a 'menu' in wordpress and organize them, but the only way they appear is via the dropdown this way, not via sub-menu bars..... help is appreciated- you can see the site i wish to do this to at annuitystraighttalk.com. it's currently config'd with dropdowns, awaiting how-to for this. thx

catrina

If this type of navigation is going to be created, it will require the code and the jquery file. Are you still up for using it?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

thanp73

according to this page: http://www.pagelines.com/docs/menus-navigation this is supposed to be natively supported by this theme, however it does not work for me though i followed the instructions. i'm looking for some support from the theme developer as to why this does not work

Kate

Hi Nathaniel, The sub-nav and secondary nav are actually two different things. The sub navigation referred to on the page you linked to is referring to drop-down menus. For a secondary nav, you would set this up in your Settings area. However, it's currently only supported for the posts page. If you go to Settings->Header and Nav->Posts Page Secondary Navigation, you can select from a dropdown which menu appears. The "More Info" next to it reads: "You can select a WP menu to use as sub navigation on your main blog page." Hopefully that helps clarify things for you.

thanp73

thanks, that does help some. i didn;t realize that i needed to put secondary nav int oa page template also - i thought it'd be a dynamic thing. anyway, i got it to work by putng the secondary nav in the template, and letting the child pages display in the secondary nav. unfortunately, i can;t seem to modify the displaytext of these child pages. so long post titles take up many rows of secndary nav space, rather than concise 1 word nav buttons.... any ideas how to change the text o the child pages displayed in the secondary nav area?

catrina

Would you rather abbreviate these long titles or reduce them to one word? I believe there is a way to shorten category titles in dropdowns (it might be able to work for page titles).

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

thanp73

I would like to reduce them to one or two words, rather than the whole long page title. i can edit this in the wordpress menu system, however don;t know how to do it usign the subpage nav/ native child pages. anyone? thx!

jgbr

thanp73 I am trying to do the same as you (see my threat on this: http://www.pagelines.com/forum/discussion/comment/66898#Comment_66898 ) I'm trying to get my menu system to drop down to whatever is its childs by using the menu system. I think we are trying to do the same thing. (im also trying to include categories so am trying to get the top level of the menu to change to reflect the child pages as you click along)