Sign in to follow this  
davidcsonka

Any Author Page functionality besides displaying posts?

davidcsonka

With the new support for rel="author" by Google search, having a good author page is important now. We've got half of the equation with Wordpress putting in the code for the metabad author link. Now we need to be able to have the author page link back to the author's Google profile, and then their profile pic and link will show up next to their blog post in search results -> http://yoast.com/highlighting-wordpress-authors-search/ However, it seems that all that Platform provides is a page that spits out all of that author's articles. That's not enough. I need it to have the author's bio, like the name, homepage URL, contact info etc. Like the Author bio you can have show up on single post content pages. Ideally, a better author page would be something like this: http://www.bloggingpro.com/archives/2010/01/19/optimise-your-wordpress-themes-with-better-author-pages/

cmunns

Did you see the author info section in the template setup?

davidcsonka

I see and have used the Post Author Info widget for the Single Post Content Area template. That puts my bio at the bottom of my blog posts. But, I don't see how I can add that widget to the Wordpress author posts page, because there is no template for the author posts page in the Pagelines Platform theme, as far as I can tell.

Kate

Hey David, Out of the box, we don't have that functionality. So, you have a couple of options. You could create a custom template with the listing, or you could add them to a page. If you choose the latter, my thought is you can add a plugin that allows you to put PHP in posts. (Or perhaps even just a query plugin.) Then you could use something like this: http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-list-all-authors-from-your-blog-in-wordpress/

davidcsonka

Oi, that sounds scary. There is a provision with Platform to have Custom pages, yes? When in the Admin Template Setup screen, I see an option in the drop down menu for "Custom Page" under page templates. Would I be able to create a custom page using that somehow? If you can link to a guide that explains that more, I'd be very grateful. Thanks- DC

cmunns

There actually is an author posts page generated by default from the template.postloop.php file ...its the same way that category and date based archives are shown.

davidcsonka

Is there someway I can edit that template to add additional output fields when it's called as the author page? I'd like to be able to take full advantage of Google's search features and get my profile highlighted in the search results.

cmunns

yeah. you can edit the template.postloop.php file by copying it into the Base child theme...add author loop info by using the conditional ` if (is_author()): your custom stuff endif; `

davidcsonka

Thanks CMunns, it worked. I added the code you suggested right after // Start of 'The Loop' if(have_posts()){

wayside

How to I set my author page to display more than one post and have the homepage display only 1 post?

wayside

Where is this????? "Did you see the author info section in the template setup?"

kastelic

wayside, you can put query_posts( 'posts_per_page=5' ); in front of the the authors section of the loop.