Sign in to follow this  
farrelldoc

Looking for error.php file in template

farrelldoc

I would like a custom error page (not 404 but when someone does something goofy), and I'm looking for an error.php file in the template, but I don't see one. Am I missing it in a folder somewhere, or is there one available with a third party? Thanks, Karen

----

Karen Farrell

Farrell Documentation

Platform Pro

WP 3.1.3

catrina

If the error page you want to create isn't going to be a 404, I think it would still be a 404 but it wouldn't say that it's a 404 error. Does that make sense? The correct solution for creating a custom error page is here: http://www.pagelines.com/forum/topic/7909

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

farrelldoc

I'm sorry--I wasn't clear about the type of error page I was referring to. It's not a 404 error page at all but a page that a user would reach when they performed a disallowed step. Instead of receiving the standard error message: error.png I would prefer for the user to receive a page using my template instead of the page above. There is a plugin that allows this, but it makes use of the error.php file in the template, and I did not see this file anywhere. Thanks, Karen

----

Karen Farrell

Farrell Documentation

Platform Pro

WP 3.1.3

Simon

You ahve to create the file yourself

Create an error.php in your templates, $title and $message variables will be populated

farrelldoc

Can you direct me to a tutorial or example of how to make such a page? I'm not a php developer--just a designer, but I can follow an example--I think. Thanks! Karen

----

Karen Farrell

Farrell Documentation

Platform Pro

WP 3.1.3

farrelldoc

Thanks for the link. Maybe what I'm looking for doesn't exist. I already have a custom 404 page. What I'm looking for is a way to replace the standard WP message in the image above. I found a plugin that can do this (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/mudslide-error-pages/), but it requires a file in the template that is named error.php. I don't have that file (that I could find), and I don't know what goes in it or where to put it. Are you saying that the error.php file is the same thing as a custom 404 page? If so, then I must already have one because if you navigate to a page on my site that doesn't exist, you get this: http://www.farrelldoc.com/fakepage.html. I just don't know where to look for it. :) Thanks for your help! Karen

----

Karen Farrell

Farrell Documentation

Platform Pro

WP 3.1.3

Simon

You just create a new file in the active template folder. create error.php: ` <?php echo '

' . $title; echo '

' . $message; `

farrelldoc

Thank you Simon! Whew! That's what I needed to know. One last question (or two)...

• Does it matter where in the template that I place the file?
  • Do I not need the ending
    ?>

in the file with code above?

Thank you so much for your help!

----

Karen Farrell

Farrell Documentation

Platform Pro

WP 3.1.3