Sign in to follow this  
j powers

Child Theme

j powers

Another newbie, I am using platform pro and didn't install a child or base theme at the start. That being said no css style changes have been made either. I have created a style.css sheet and ftp'd it into the themes folder using a new folder for it within. I went to Appearance> Editor and clicked on update file. I'm not sure if that is what I was suppose to do, I am trying to follow the WP tutorial it indicates that I should be ready to go from that point. How do I know I am ready to start editing the child theme? Much appreciated VidaHealth

trinisys
How do I know I am ready to start editing the child theme?
If you are using PlatformPro, you should also install PlatformBase. Activate the PlatformBase theme and then make any edits there. PlatformBase is the child theme that comes with PlatformPro.
I went to Appearance> Editor and clicked on update file.
This is where you can edit the theme files from within WordPress. There is no need to click update when you FTP a file. The update button is used when you make an edit to the file via the WordPress interface and want to save the changes.

j powers

Thanks, I don't see any files in the files I received call Platformbase ? Is there a specfic file name and type I am looking for.

trinisys

It was a separate zip file download - but they were both listed here for me when we purchased.

j powers

Thanks Trinisys, I have it loaded and activated , so to confirm where to I make my css edit's and do know by something in the admin that I am editing on the child theme. Thanks again

Kate

For quick edits, you can use Custom Code->Custom CSS, or for more in depth changes you can use style.css inside of your PlatformBase theme.

j powers

Thanks Kate, sorry for being a bit daft on this but I want to be 100% on this at the start. When I am on the custome code option how do I know the child theme is in operation as nothing appears to be called out as being different than before. As mentioned above I installed base and activated it but what tells me it was successful and is now in place of platform pro custom code. If that makes sense. Thanks

trinisys

There are two easy ways to know that the child theme is active. Look in Appearance/Themes and PlatformBase should be the current theme if the child theme is activated. Another way: When you are in Appearance/Editor, you should only see about 6 files available for editing (unless you created more templates, etc). The non-base theme would have many more files listed. At the top (under "Edit Themes) it will also say "PlatformBase:" plus the name of the file being edited. Hope this helps. -David

j powers

Perfect, thanks again trinisys, Appearence > Themes actually indicates Current Theme >Platform Base. Cheers !