Sign in to follow this  
jeffsbesthemp

Update problem with platform pro, but with an upside.

jeffsbesthemp

Hi, Platform pro windows xp I just updated platform pro within wordpress, and it seems to have made my site roll back to a previous version of itself.. I'm running platform base, and thought there wouldn't be a problem, but there seems to have been. The only upside is now I've got my big gorgeous full featurette screen back again and I'm stoked. Is there a way to make it revert to it's previous form without messing up the screen? Also, if we're running the base theme, why did it go weird when we updated it? Is there a way to fix that so we don't have to do all the edits again?

jeffsbesthemp

Hi Kate, That doesn't answer any of my questions, and comes across as a bit dismissive, considering the update seems to have wiped out some of our work. Also, are we going to have to actually go into our server and rename our theme's old, old1, etc. every time there's an update available? This was caused by updating it from within wordpress, and I'd been told before by Adam Munns that if we were using the base theme as the active theme that updating the platform pro theme would not affect what it looked like. Unfortunately it did. That doesn't seem very beginner friendly or customer friendly.

Simon

1.5.2 was a minor update, no css was changed. I see your custom css is still at the bottom of dynamic.css so that is still in the setting, meaning your settings were not wiped. Do you have a backup at all?

jeffsbesthemp

Hi Simon, No, we thought this was just a simple update and just clicked on the update for platform pro from within wordpress where the notification was. We might have something on the server, but it gets very technical and we're just not tech smart, that's why we bought this theme. It's very frustrating and disappointing, everything seems to have to have some kind of hang up with it. All suggestions are appreciated.

Simon

if you have a db backup, you could send it to me, and i could extract a settings backup for you.

Simon

Jeff, go into Platform settings and hit save, it will rebuild the caches.

jeffsbesthemp

Hi Simon, To the best of our knowledge, we don't have a DB backup, and we didn't know we needed one to safely just update our theme.. When we clicked on the notice at the top of the page that there were updates available for platform pro, it didn't state anywhere that we needed to have one to use it safely. We've lost virtually all our edits, downloads, plugins, and changes we've made since January, in one click, and now our corporate page is flipping advertisements for platform pro instead of for our company which is totally unacceptable. If we can't get this fixed I think this is about my last straw before we report this company to the better business bureau. If you are able to do a database extract and rebuild it, that would be awesome because this is at a technical level that's way past what we possess, and directly conflicts the whole "drag and drop" basic easy use orientation advertisement video on the site. We really feel like we've been mislead. thank you for any help you can offer.

Simon
edits, downloads, plugins, and changes
Upgrading a parent theme would not touch ANYTHING in the child theme folder ever, thats the point of using platformbase. Downloads lost? I dont understand this. Plugins, wordpress themes are completely unrelated to plugins. Upgrading a theme would never ever delete a plugin. Changes, as i mentioned before, any changes to platformbase would always be preserved. Jeff, send me a db backup to simon@pagelines.com. Your host should do daily backups, or weekly. I am willing to extract a Platform settings file from your database, but i need a database to start with.

MrFent

Seriously though, as Simon suggested; go into Platform settings via the admin page and hit "Save Options." I upgraded all of my sites and they all had the same problem yours has until I did so. Once you get it fixed, we'll do our best to try to help you get your featurette screen back to the way you want it. Also, it's a really good idea to do a manual backup of your database every so often. I learned the hard way that you can't always rely on your host to keep a good backup.

jeffsbesthemp

See, that's what we thought too, we just don't know what happened. all our stuff is gone, even comments from customers. :( Thank you Simon, that's pretty awesome of you. I'm looking into how I download our database from go daddy right now, and i'll send it over in a bit. thanks again.

jeffsbesthemp

thank you too Chris, sorry, we didn't even see that comment till just a second ago.

Simon

huh? comments? Now were taking impossible, are you sure your host didnt role you back? the comments are in no way connected to the theme, apart from actually displaying them

jeffsbesthemp

I don't know, I'm just miserable from all of this. I'm just going to cut my losses and try to build it up again. Everything is waaaayy to far over my head and I guess I'll just never update anything again until I know how to save what i had before hand. The upside though, is that my giant movie size featurette screen is back magically, which is pretty rad. thank you for trying to help. I'll never update platform pro and wordpress in the same night again. this was incredibly stressful. :( and I'm dumping go daddy asap.

catrina

I think dumping GoDaddy would be a great idea. I've had a terrible experience with them and self-hosted WordPress. They're not very WP-friendly...

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

jeffsbesthemp

the girl on the phone I spoke with attempted to tell me that it was a "word press issue" that my htaccess file was not functioning properly, the same htaccess file I was staring at the entire time I was on the phone with them, and did not touch. there's only so much slack I can offer someone.