Sign in to follow this  
brightideas

Lost Settings in Transfer

brightideas

So, I moved the files from one site to another via FTP and transferred the database. Here's the front page of the site. Notice the colors. (Feature photos are missing because I haven't went in and changed the image URLs.): fIESv.jpg Here's what the Platform Pro Design Control is showing: C99CP.jpg I tried uploading the db again and the settings are totally gone now. I've gone back and uploaded all the files to FTP and deleted the database and imported it again. Same results. Since I have to have the site running properly by the end of the day, I will just attempt to recreate the settings and custom code (which has also disappeared). But I am interested in why the settings don't transfer properly since I build sites on a test server and move them. Where exactly are the settings for Platform Pro stored and why are they not transferring with the database and files? EDIT: Also wanted to add that my widget settings have been reset and two custom widgets for the bottom of the page have disappeared.

Simon

The BEST way to be sure of 100% error free transfer is to use MAMP or XAMPP and to set your hosts file (differs per OS) to fake the url. for example lets say im making a site http://awesomesauce.net i would add: `127.0.0.1 awesomesace.net ww w.awesomesauce.net` ( space added because of forum auto formatting ) to my hosts file. Then when i put that url into my browser it loads the url from my local machine. This means all the settings for wordpress, themes urls images EVERYTHING will already have the correct urls. Then I just upload via ftp, import the db using phpmyadmin remove the hosts line and voila, the site is exactly the same on the server. This is the best and only way to be sure.

brightideas

I'm working off a subdomain on a website to build the test site. Per WP.org's instructions on transferring sites, I went in and changed the URL setting right before I moved the site. The other posts on here say that all you have to do is follow the instructions on there and the site should give you no problems (minus the photo and internal link URL issues) with the theme. I changed the database settings in the config file for the new host and I uploaded the files and the new database. I found out that this works fine for transferring everything *but* Platform Pro settings. Since the Platform Pro settings are completely lost and have obviously dissolved into cyber-oblivion by simply moving the file as instructed, I had nothing else to lose by trying another trick. I did a find/change the URL on the database file with a text editor. This worked outstandingly well on fixing all the internal and photo links (including the features and boxes). But it did nothing to fix the settings with the theme. But my question still is, why do the settings not transfer properly? I can deal with the image URLs not working and I understand why they don't work. But why do the settings just disappear and where exactly are they stored? Thanks for the advice. I'll keep it in mind for the next site. But, unfortunately, to fix this site, I'd need a time machine.

Kate

Hey Penny, You still have the backup copy of the database, correct? I would just import that into a fresh (blank) database on the new server.

brightideas

I did that --- a couple of times. Deleted the database and made a new one and then imported the original database. Same results --- Platform's settings were all messed up. I reset everything in Platform yesterday. Ended up with a slightly different look after tweaking it. It was just a pain to have to do it again. Next time around, I'll just export the settings before the move.