Sign in to follow this  
thib

How to get thumbnails in blog excerpts ?

thib

Hello, i'm testing the Plaftorm Pro features. Looks great ! However, I can't manage to get thumbnails on the first page in the blog excerpts. I have read several posts on this topic, but I still don't get what's wrong with my page. I have set "Post Thumbnail Placement" at "Posts/Blog Page". I think I have an issue with the "featured image". When i click on it, i choose my picture (by pasting a link), then it appears in the article, but no thumbnail. I have seen on a blog that "Once the image is uploaded, scroll down, hit ???set as featured image??? button, and click ???save all changes??? then close the dialog box." But I don't have the "set as a featured image" button ? Am I missing a plugin ? Thanks for your help...

thib

Ok, I think I found part of the answer... it seems that to appear as a thumbnail, the image MUST be uploaded from my computer ? What if (it's my case) the images are already on a server ? I can use them in the article, but not for thumbnail ? Thanks for your help !

cmunns

I believe it must be "attached" so to speak to the page...that's why you can't assign a random URL as your thumbnail. When you upload an image it becomes a page attachment with a bunch of meta options

thib

Thanks Adam for your answer. I am actually importing my blog from another platform, so all my pictures are already uploaded on servers. Is there any way to set this thumbnails without re-uploading the pictures ? Any plugin, or code to insert ? (I'm a newbie on wordpress)

thib

Hi Adam, yes, my thumbnails are always inside the post itself. They are on a server (different server than my blog). Do you know a method to make one of them as a thumbnail for the excerpt ? Thank you so much.

samyone

Is it possible to get thumbnails in blog excerpts without using wordpress media ?

catrina

You mean with using the "Set featured image" setting and with an alternative means instead?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

samyone

Yes Catrina, when using the "Set featured image", that will create the thumbs with the dimensions that you take in Setting > Media in Wordpress... But what you can do if you want to use "Set featured image" with you own thumbnails, not the thumbnails creating by WordPress ?

catrina

With "Set featured image" you would technically be using your own thumbnails because you'd be uploading them. Thumbnails aren't created by WordPress by default. Maybe I'm not understanding what exactly you're trying to accomplish.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

samyone

Sorry Catrina, maybe I have done wrong understanding. When you used "Set featured image", you can obtain that : http://www.pagelines.com/demos/platformpro/blog-2/ But I think there is a lot of ways to insert thumbs in posts (you can use wordpress Media to upload files or you can create folder in "uploads" and put your image by FTP and then simply write the URL of the image in your post) When you use Media in Wordpress, you can configure in Settings > Media all the size of your thumbs. And when you upload the image that you use in post, all the size of this thumb are generate (normal, smaller and large). So this different size will be used for thumbnails in the blog excerpts. But if you don't want to use this method, how can you say to "Set Featured image" to take the image you have chose and not the generate thumbs ? For example in one post I have an image called PICT1, when I upload it with media, PICT-64x64.jpg, PICT-150x150.jpg and PICT-1024x1024.jpg will generate. Then "Set featured image" will used PICT64x64.jpg for thumbnails in blog excerpts. So I choose the second issue : I create 2 thumbs, one for my post called post-image.jpg (435x200px) and one for post blog excerpt (64x64px) - Not the same thummbs - For the first thumbs no problem to insert it, but for the other how could I insert it in "Set featured image" ? Sorry for this long post! Thanks

Kate

Hi Samuel, Not sure I completely understand your question, but to start, you can only have one featured image per post.

samyone

Sure Kate, but before you start uploading image, you must adjust the size of three standard image formats. Indeed, each upload, WordPress will generate, according to the original size of your image, new images in three standard sizes, to optimize the integration of those latter in your articles. You set the dimensions in the Settings menu > Media. And then you upload image in WordPress Media Library. "Set featured image" will take the tumbnails here. When you click on "Set featured image", a popup window openning. So you can choose your image with different possibilities (from computer, from URL, Gallery, Media Library or nextGen Gallery). My question is : Is there another way to take thumbnails to blog excerpts like the platformpro demo until used Media Library ? Custom post types ? Thanks