Sign in to follow this  
ppotent

Widgets on category pages

ppotent

I want to have one set of widgets on the home page and different widgets on the category pages. Can someone help with this please. Also how do I get the menu to stay shaded on a category page - I notice that it does it for other static menu pages, but not for category pages.

Simon

There is a plugin called 'widget logic' you might find useful

ppotent

Hi Catrina. Link is: mypotential As you will see, the home page and about us page menu links stayed grayed out when you go to the page. But when you go to the category pages (women, teens, etc.) the grayed menu doesn't appear. Thanks Simon. Someone from Pagelines told me that it was possible within platform Pro. As I'm a newbie, I was hoping to not have to be mucking around with plugins, etc.

kastelic

The reason they are not greying out is because your getting a 404 page rather than showing that category. So the menu url is wrong or that category doesn't exist. As for different widget items on different pages, Widget Logic is the way to go.

ppotent

Thanks for your reply Jimmy. I'm not sure what you mean about the 404 page. When I click on the menu links it works fine. It brings up a list of posts that have been classified under the category. However, when I am on the category page, the menu link change to a "clicked" or "selected" state - does this make sense?

timlinson

I think the 404s are just coming from categories with 0 posts so far. When you made your custom menu, did you use custom URLs or did you just use the category checkboxes to add to your menu?

ppotent

Hi Tim, I used the category checkboxes to add the menus. Now I understand what Jimmy is talking about - thanks Jimmy. Yes, because there's no content as yet, I get a 404 page. However, the problem is with the menu "button". It doesn't stay greyed out after it's been clicked on and I've gone to the category page - even if the category page has content. Menu buttons only seem to stay greyed out for home page and a static page. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks everyone so far for your ideas.

Kate

Now I'm a little confused about what you're trying to change, lol :) But, if you're trying to change the color of the current menu item, you can add this to your Custom CSS section:

.main-nav li.current-menu-item a{background:#eeeeee;}

You can change the background hex color to whatever you prefer.