Sign in to follow this  
slingr

Feature slider drops last image

slingr

Okay, I'm stumped. I'm using WHP theme with a Feature Page Standard template for my home page at http://discernthis.com. There should be 4 images in the rotation, but the 4th isn't appearing. This is perplexing since it works fine on my local installation. So far I have: a. Cut and pasted all of the feature settings out of my local installation into the live site. No joy. b. Made sure that of the plugins I have installed locally are also installed on the live site. No joy. (plugins: NextGen Gallery, Post Types Order, Quotes Collection, WP Importer, WP-PageNavi, WP125) c. Disabled all of the live site plugins EXCEPT those that are on the local installation. No joy. d. Added a 5th image to the feature set to see what might happen, but no change. Only 3 appear. e. I understand in Platform Pro there's a Feature setting for max images, but I can't find that in WHP anywhere. Could that be the problem? If not, what? Thanks in advance!

catrina

Can you try deactivating your plugins to see if a difference is made?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

slingr

Oh, and the only custom CSS I'm using is: #footer {display:none}

slingr

Catrina, hi, and thanks for your response. Before I posted the message I deactivated all the plugins except those that were on my local installation, so that the configuration would be the same since the feature slider works fine locally. After your response I deactivated ALL of the plugins online. I still only get the first three images.

catrina

What if you tried using a different carousel image/link mode? For example, using the Post Thumbnails instead of NexGen gallery to see if it's the NexGen gallery that might be causing the problem.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

slingr

Catrina, when I first noticed the problem I realized that I hadn't installed NexGen in my live installation. I thought it might have something to do with it, so I installed it. That's when I started comparing the plugins between the live and local sites. So I had the problem before I installed NextGen Gallery. Regarding using another approach, all I was trying to do was mimic the WHP demo look so I could go ahead and get my blog converted. So all I know is the Feature Page Standard template and how to set up the features. I don't have any idea about using Post Thumbnails, and would prefer not get into that until I grasp this slider. But since the feature slider works locally, and it partially works online, I'd really like to understand what the discrepancy is. I'll probably want to have this kind of page on other sites.

catrina

Hm, who's your hosting provider and what version of PHP do you have (you can check on the dashboard/homepage of the hosting site)?

Designer | Catrina Dulay

slingr

WebSiteSource is my host. I checked via chat with one of their support techs and he says 5.2.14. I see that the minimum should be 5.2.4. I'll take care of that with WSS ASAP and see what happens. Is there anything in particular that makes you think that could be the problem, or just generally? Thanks. I'll get on it.

slingr

Okay, so haste makes stupid. I guess 5.2.14 is > 5.2.4 ... isn't that the way the version logic goes? I was thinking 5.2.1.4. Duh.

catrina

I'm not certain what could be the problem, but if it's working locally and not on the live site, there must be something going on after upload.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

slingr

Right, I got that. My local is a Win7 running BitNami with WP 3.2, all the plugins I listed before with all updates. But I'm curious ... I understand in Platform Pro there's a user input for setting a max number of images on a feature, but in WHP there's not. Yet it looks to me like that's what's happening ... the live installation looks to be restricting the number of images to three. Is that not logical? Turn it around ... if I WANTED to limit the max number of images in the slider to three, how would I do that in WHP without the direct user input?

catrina

After searching, I found this shortcode for maximum images:

max_pictures="6"

This shortcode can probably be implemented in template_carousel.php and the number can be changed.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

slingr

Hmm. So if 6 is the default max then 4 shouldn't be a problem. I just went into WP and activated the twenty ten theme, then switched back to WHP. (The software equivalent of shaking the vending machine.) But it didn't affect the slider. It's not an earth-shaking problem but I'd like to figure it out eventually. Catrina, you've probably got better ways to spend a summer Saturday. :) Thanks.

slingr

Catrina, and anyone else who might be interested, I deleted the problematic 4th feature image from the Feature Settings. I entered dummy data into the Feature 6 slot, and it again failed to display. I deleted that one, so that I had to add a "New Feature Slide." I put dummy text, an image, and a link in that one and it again failed to display. For some reason my live site will not display four images in the slider, but my local installation will. Now I'm wondering ... could there be any lingering effects of my previous theme? A file that didn't get overwritten or something? Could it be a database problem? What if I exported the XML file from the live site and imported it to my local and see if there might be something peculiar in the data?

slingr

Catrina, that short code you found [ max_pictures="6" ] isn't in my template_carousel.php file. Are you suggesting I add it to the file? Where?

catrina

Try adding it inside this (after template=plcarousel):

[nggallery id='.$ngen_id.' template=plcarousel]

Designer | Catrina Dulay

slingr

Catrina, I'm not familiar with php syntax and punctuation. Can you show me what the entire new line(s) should look like? Thanks.

slingr

Just to confirm, after all my manipulations and troubleshooting tries, everything is back to its original configuration in terms of the feature slider contents, plugins, etc. So even though I have four feature images which show up on my local installation, only three show online at www.discernthis.com

catrina

I'll mark this for developer's attention. Someone else appears to be having the same problem with their slides and I'm unsure of the solution for that issue.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

slingr

Okay. Thanks, Catrina. I appreciate your patience and diligence with me.

slingr

Johan, thanks for catching that stupid error on my part due to multiple rounds of troubleshooting. What you saw was my local link. However, I've corrected it and am now back to where I was originally and it still only shows 3 images. I owe you a beer and blush, but I'm still looking for that 4th image. :)

slingr

Johan, you got me wondering about what happens to the feature slider when there's a bad image link. I changed the link for the second image to see what it does, and the feature shows the alt tag instead of the image, but everything else works, the text in the left block still displays, the number of the image still displays. So a bad image link wouldn't result in the problem I'm having. At least, it didn't this time.

Simon

This could be related to a bug we just fixed, images were being deleted from the media library when duplicate names were found..1.5.2 fixes this...releasing soon

slingr

Simon, that sounds promising. Thanks. Is 1.5.2 the Platform Pro release? Will that affect the WHP theme? That prompts another question I'll post in the General category.