Sign in to follow this  
aemillerco

Pagelines + Gravity Forms - Don't even think about it!!!

aemillerco

This post comes after months of frustration from dealing with these 2 products together. I have them both running on several sites and to be honest, it's a NIGHTMARE. Mainly because of css formatting. - CSS formatting of the forms is a complete joke. You have to jump thru hoops to make them even look like they fit because these two do not play well together. - Pagelines loves to beat up on Gravity for having a sloppy product but with no real basis or examples as to why they feel that way. - Gravity loves to beat up on Pagelines for having a sloppy product but with no real basis or examples as to why they feel that way. The way I read into this, is that BOTH have a sloppy product. Great job with communication! In short, I would NOT recommend these two products be used together on a live site. The developers don't see eye to eye and the products do NOT play well together. It's really sad, because these are two great products IMO. But I would not suggest running them together until these developers can get on the same page and give us usable options. I'm real close to scrapping both just because of the issues.

aemillerco

Just got this reply from Gravity when I posted the same over on their forum:

We've gone out of our way to help you and to offer styling solutions for your forms where the problem has been easily traced back to your theme. I haven't simply "beat up" on your theme provider, I've personally tried to offer guidance so you could work with them to solve your issues. Here's the thing.. we have thousands upon thousands of Gravity Forms installations and most people are able to use them just fine with a moderate amount of customization. Yes, there are times when serious styling issues arise and it's usually caused when lazy or unqualified theme developers apply blanket styling rules to common form elements like the INPUT for example. Not all inputs are created equally.. there are various kinds like buttons, radios, checkboxes and even images can be used as an input type. Our product is simply a plugin that's intended to inherit a certain amount of styling from your theme. If you start with crap, you're going to end up with crap. We can't QA everyone's theme styles for them and can't guarantee that Gravity Forms is going to come out looking exactly like you think it should with every theme. We do go to great lengths to try to overcome some of these hurdles, but again, the forms aren't a stand-alone app and we can only control so much. I know that we've reached out to the Pagelines team a few times and it's been unproductive. If you're dissatisfied with their support or they don't want to accept any responsiblity, I'm sorry but please don't blast us when we've been responsive and helpful with all of your requests.

Danny

Strange, I have PlatformPro and Gravity Forms on my test site and they're running fine together. There are some CSS issues but I've experienced that with pretty much all themes I've ran in the past along with Gravity Forms. So what is the problem you are having ?

Please search our forums, before posting!

aemillerco

I've had a ton of issues with styles buried in dynamic.css that apply blanket styling to all sorts of form elements for no apparent reason. Gravity recommends completely gutting dynamic.css after seeing its contents. I am just not good with CSS and really don't even know where to start. I don't understand why I can't make the forms look like the rest of the site. The fonts, colors, spacing, sizes, etc are all different around my forms. They look downright trashy. I've tried about all I know how to do. :(http://www.customseedpacks.com/order/ http://www.ricksheatandair.com/request-a-quote/

poseyg

I use Gravity Forms on a half dozen websites and they work fine for me. Checked out your 2nd site, used Firebug to get rid of the gray background of your form. It looks like some of your issues could be remedied in the "custom css" section.

aemillerco

Posey - Not sure how you have such good luck when no one else does. With the "custom css" empty, the forms still look like trash.

cmunns

Default Gravity forms styling isn't very nice anyway...and I've used some customization on them many times with no problem...regardless the dynamic.css file is something that the devs are working on improving so maybe it will help you out, but it still won't be a magic bullet for proper understanding of how to write css and overcome issues of specificity and hierarchy... Is there any specific styling for example that you need help with so we can offer guidance?

aemillerco

cmunns, In short, I just want a classy looking form. One that will stand off the page, and draw attention to it. Every time I have a form, it's either on a landing page or on a page where we are tracking conversions. The goal is to get them to fill out the form. I think a colored background, decent looking submit button, larger text input boxes with the input text also being bigger, maybe even bold. If someone could even show me the code to make something decent looking, I could learn a ton from it. Chris

Kate

Hi Chris, This should get you on the right track:

#gform_1{padding:10px;}
	.gform_wrapper input[type=text]{height:30px;font-size:18px !important;}
	.gform_button{background:#404040 !important;color:#ffffff !important;}
	.gform_footer{float:left;width:100%;}

cas45

I am a huge Gravity Forms fan. I always have CSS work to do but I find that the case with almost any plug-in I add. I tend to create a separate style sheet forms.css so I can manage all of those changes in one convenient place. The benefits of the calculations fields and all the extra plug-ins far outweigh any CSS inconvenience.

aemillerco

So does anyone know why it would look so bad?

poseyg
LOL...CSS can be a definite love/hate relationship. I just took a look at your form and with a just a little tweaking of the css in Firebug was able to do this: http://ccconline.careercollege-programs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/form.jpg I enlarged the font for the "first" and "last" name, evened out your background so the form looks like one continuous form and moved your "submit" button to line up with the forms left edge fields. So basically, the reason your form isn't like you want it...is....hold on.....wait for it.......the CSS. Listen, you're almost there with it...looking good...just try to stay with it and tweak just a little bit more. Hope this helps.... Posey