Sign in to follow this  
neurobonkers

Pages returning 404

neurobonkers

I've just installed WP Super Cache and [now] my pages are returning the 404 page. Posts are still working fine and the pages are still listed at the top of the blog and look perfectly intact from /wp-admin. I'm assuming this is connected to the Super Cache install but it's possible it occured earlier and I've only just noticed. Blog: http://neurobonkers.com/ EDIT: Just noticed I'm also getting 404 errors when clicking on post tags.

neurobonkers

Update: I should add that after the WP Super Cache installation I was required to change my permalink structure to a custom structure: /%year%/%postname%/

catrina

The structure change might have something to do with it. Try deactivating the plugin and see if the problem persists.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

neurobonkers

Thanks for the reply Catrina, yes it does seem to be related to the URL structure, returning to the basic structure fixes the problem. I do seem to need a chacheing program to enable my website to load before the server times out and as far as I can tell WP Supercache is the best available cacheing plugin but with the basic URL structure it gives the following error: "Permlink Structure Error A custom url or permalink structure is required for this plugin to work correctly. Please go to the Permalinks Options Page to configure your permalinks."

Simon

to change your permalinks wordpress has to be able to write to `.htaccess` maybe the permessions are set wrong on this file?

neurobonkers

Thanks for the reply Simon, I'm unable to edit permissions at the moment. I've been advised switching to a Linux server would fix that problem, is it possible to confirm that is safe on Pagelines? I've started a thread on the matter here.

timlinson
is it possible to confirm that is safe on Pagelines?
Are you asking if WP/PL will work on a linux server? Yes that will be fine.

neurobonkers

Thanks Tim, I've successfully switched to Linux now and I can now manage file permissions on ".htaccess". I can change the URL structure with no permissions issues but this still results in a 404 error when clicking on pages and tags.

neurobonkers

Hi, just noticed this topic got marked as resolved but I'm still unable to cache my page because I'm unable to change my URL structure without breaking my "pages".

neurobonkers

The problem doesn't seem to be the plug in because the plugin is currently deactivated. I would like to be able to change the URL structure to the custom permalink structure for the general performance purposes described in the wiki. Is this a known issue with Pagelines or may there be some other cause?

kastelic

Never had this issue. What happens when you set the permalinks to default, save, and then set it to custom and save again?

neurobonkers

When default hyperlinks are set pages work fine e.g. http://neurobonkers.com/?page_id=733 and the tag cloud (right hand side) allows tags to be searched using the standard layout e.g. http://neurobonkers.com/?tag=dailyfail When I use the custom structure: "/%year%/%postname%" posts work fine (e.g.) http://neurobonkers.com/2011/remote-controlled-rats but pages break giving a 404 error e.g. http://neurobonkers.com/brain-computer-interfacing-study-signup and tags also deliver 404, the structure switches to http://neurobonkers.com/post/dailyfail I've now reverted back to default, I can switch it to custom again if you'd like to examine that mode. Thanks for your help.

Kate

Hey Max, Did you try Jimmy's suggestion to revert to default, save the options, and then try the custom again? What other plugins are you using?

neurobonkers

Hi Kate, Yes I tried Jimmy's suggestion many times, I've also tried deactivating supercache and trying Jimmy's suggestion, no luck. Plugins I am using are: Plugin Description AskApache RewriteRules Viewer Displays the Internal WordPress Rewrite Rules in Detailed Glory. Version 3.2 Disqus Comment System Google +1 Deactivate | Edit Adds the Google +1 button to your site. Growmap Anti Spambot Plugin Very simple plugin that adds a client side generated checkbox to the comment form requesting that the user clicks it to prove they are not a spammer. Bots wont see it so their spam comment will be discarded. Version 1.1 | By Andy Bailey | Visit plugin site Select Hello Dolly Hello Dolly Activate | Edit | Delete This is not just a plugin, it symbolizes the hope and enthusiasm of an entire generation summed up in two words sung most famously by Louis Armstrong: Hello, Dolly. When activated you will randomly see a lyric from Hello, Dolly in the upper right of your admin screen on every page. Stumbleupon & Digg Thumbnail Maker Setting | Deactivate | Edit Stumbleupon & Digg Thumbnail Maker allows you to specifically select a thumbnail for a post when it is submitted to some social media sites. Version 1.1 | By Philip Ze | Visit plugin site Tweet This Activate | Edit | Delete Popular Twitter plugin inserts "Tweet This" links so your readers can share posts with one click. Automatically tweets new posts via OAuth. Version 1.8.3 | By Richard X. Thripp Twitter for Wordpress Deactivate | Edit Displays your public Twitter messages for all to read. Based on Pownce for Wordpress by Cavemonkey50. Version 1.9.7 | By Ricardo Gonz??lez | Visit plugin site Wordpress Facebook Like Plugin Deactivate | Edit Wordpress Facebook Like Plugin - Add a Facebook "Like" Button to your blog posts and increase your visitor engagement instantly! This plugin adds a simple and easy to use Facebook Like functionality with admin options to change the location of Facebook Like button, font, show faces, use the box with count as well as other cool and useful options. Visitors "liking" your content automatically posts them as shared item on their Facebook profile with a thumbnail of your site's image post. Pretty cool! The Like button lets a user share your content with friends on Facebook. When the user clicks the Like button on your site, a story appears in the user's friends' News Feed with a link back to your website. Version 0.4 | By AJ Batac | Visit plugin site WP-Cumulus Deactivate | Edit Flash based Tag Cloud for WordPress Version 1.23 | By Roy Tanck | Visit plugin site WP-OGP Deactivate | Edit This is a plugin to add Open Graph Protocol Data to the metadata of your WordPress blog. Version 1.0.5 | By David Miller | Visit plugin site WP Super Cache Activate | Edit | Delete Very fast caching plugin for WordPress. Version 0.9.9.9 | By Donncha O Caoimh | Visit plugin site YD Recent Posts with thumbnails Deactivate | Edit Installs a new sidebar widget that can display the recent posts with automatic thumbnail images. Highly customizable allowing different settings on the home page. Uses cache to avoid multiple database queries. You can choose to list all recent posts, or only list recent posts marked with a specific tag. You can display a different selection on the home page and on other pages. You can also insert a list of recent posts or previous posts with thumbnails in your templates and not use the widget. Version 3.0.1 | By Yann Dubois | Visit plugin site | Settings | Support

cmunns

The default permalink structure you have is probably getting interpreted as an archive based permalink

Avoiding interpretation as an archive link Note that even though one might never make more than one posting a day, and thus wishes to use e.g., %year%%monthnum%%day%, links so generated will however be interpreted as the archive of all posts for that day. One needs at least %year%%monthnum%%day%%hour% to target an individual post.

neurobonkers

I see, having such a huge URL seems like a questionable trade off for the super cache plugin. Is there no other way? I was hoping to just use "/%year%/%postname%/" Is that not possible/not advisable?