Sign in to follow this  
mnagillum

@import url('../platformpro/style.css'); doesn't bring in styles

mnagillum

In previous work with a child theme, the code @import url('../platformpro/style.css'); brought in all of the css from the parent theme. I was then able to modify the css in the child theme to change the look and feel of my site. This is NOT working for me in PlatformPro. Any ideas? Thanks!

cmunns

what does your site look like. Most likely the style is being imported, but the rules you might be trying to change are actually part of the dynamic load which takes more specificity to override.

mnagillum

Thanks! Let me explain a bit more: In a recent class I took, we created a child theme for the twentyten theme. As I recall, once I uploaded my child theme to the FTP server, all of the twentyten theme showed up in my child theme, and then I adapted it to my site. With the platformpro theme, my platformbase file shows just a few lines of CSS code. I have not customized any code at all. Are you suggesting that I should write new code in the platformbase stylesheet and that will just override whatever's in the platformpro stylesheet? I am nervous about screwing this up, as this site is for an actual client!

catrina
AAre you suggesting that I should write new code in the platformbase stylesheet and that will just override whatever's in the platformpro stylesheet? I am nervous about screwing this up, as this site is for an actual client!
Yes, it's totally okay to add new code to the plateformbase stylesheet. That is what it's for. It's better than screwing up the actual platformpro stylesheet. :)

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

mnagillum

Yes, I know it's okay to write new code in the base stylesheet, but what I am trying to say is that there is no code there to modify. This is the full extent of the code, after the header info and "import url" line: /* ============================== */ /* = Start Your Custom CSS Here = */ /* ============================== */ /* @ CSS corresponding to the hook used in functions.php; adds a stumbleupon icon to branding section */ .icons .stumbleupon {background: url('../platformpro/images/sprite-socialicons.png') no-repeat -176px 0;} .icons .stumbleupon:hover {background: url('../platformpro/images/sprite-socialicons.png') no-repeat -176px -22px;} /* @ Pullquote Section */ #pullquote.copy{ background: #f7f7f7 url(images/pullquote.png) no-repeat 15px 15px; padding: 15px 20px 15px 45px; margin-bottom: 1.5em; } #pullquote .thepullquote{font-size: 1.5em;margin-bottom: 5px;line-height: 1.3em;} #pullquote .thecitation{color: #AAA; font-style: italic;padding-left: 15px;} /* Formatting Setup */ body{ font-size: 87.5%; line-height:1.6em; height:100%; padding-top: 5px; } #page, #dynamic-content { min-height: 500px; zoom:1;} #page-canvas{ margin: 0 auto; } That's it. In the previous child theme I worked with, ALL of the code was imported with the "import url" language, so could see all of it to modify it. In this case, I cannot see the code; I have to open up the platformpro stylesheet to see it. Is that what I'm supposed to do? Grab it from the platformpro stylesheet, place it in the child stylesheet, and modify it there? Thanks for your help!

Simon

No, the idea of css, is that it is loaded in order, cascading style sheets. the style.css in the base folder is loaded last, so any css you put in there will override the css loaded in the main theme, you dont have to reload whats already loaded. so for example, if in platfoms main css file it says: .banana { color: yellow } then in the base css file you put: .banana { color: blue } it will use the last one loaded, and you get a blue banana...ok silly example ;)

mnagillum

So I am not supposed to see the styles from the platformpro stylesheet at all in the platformbase stylesheet? In my platformbase stylesheet there is no reference to a banana, but if I type in .banana { color: blue } the yellow banana on my site will turn blue? Thanks!

kastelic
@import url('../platformpro/style.css');

brings in all the styles, but you don't see them. Its just as if they were all there though. So you can open up your CSS files in Platform Pro to look at them, but you will want to override them in base rather than change them in the main stylesheet.

aims00

This might be a closed thread but it is the only thing relevant I can find on a search and thought I would throw out a simple question. What is the root-relative reference of @import url('../platformpro/style.css'); I have a caching issue with my platform and it doesn't like the ../ or how can I get rid of the ../ and still get the styles brought in?