Sign in to follow this  
MatthewMarichiba

boxes wrap incorrectly when adding DIV border shadow in CSS

MatthewMarichiba

Hi, I added a border & shadow to my box DIVs by adding the following to the Custom Code setting. .fbox { padding:10px 10px 10px 10px; border:1px solid #DDDDDD; box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #CCCCCC; } I like this effect. The trouble is that now the boxes wrap incorrectly. For example, if I set the page to have 2 columns of boxes, it comes out 1. If I set the page to 3 columns, it comes out 2. My guess is that the drop shadow is adding a few pixels of width to the box entity, making it wider than the theme expects, and thereby forcing the box DIVs to wrap prematurely. (The example below is set for 2 columns.) I'd appreciate some advice on how to set the boxes so they size & wrap themselves correctly. As always, thanks for the help! Matthew QA5w9.png

cshoffmann

I think you may need to try this: Adjust the following variables in the css. . . .dcol_2 { width: ?; margin-left: ?; } by reducing the width, the margin-left or a little of both I think in theory your boxes will align.

MatthewMarichiba

Thanks Shaun, those indeed do the trick. (And the effect looks nice too.) Here's the CSS I used to set things straight: /* Create a default style with box outline, rounded corners, and drop shadow */ .fbox { padding:10px 10px 10px 10px; border:1px solid #DDDDDD; box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #CCCCCC; border-radius:15px; margin-bottom: 10px; } /* Adjust the width of the boxes so that they fit in the columns with their additional padding & shadow */ .dcol_2 {margin-left: 10px; width: 450px; } /* originally 20 & 470 */ .dcol_3 {margin-left: 10px; width: 286px;} /* originally 20 & 306 */ .dcol_4 {margin-left: 10px; width: 200px; /* originally 20 & 225 */ }