Sign in to follow this  
bbersche

Linking the Main Blog to the Navigation - but not as a Home page

bbersche

Hi, I am using PlatformPro and need to link my main Blog up to my navigation, but I want to link it to a menu tab called "From the Editor", rather than to the "Home" page. (I have a static Home page...) I am using a custom menu as Jimmy suggested in another post on this topic, and I tried linking "From the Editor" to the "/" URL that was mentioned, however this only seems to direct to my static Home Page -- not to my main blog... Can you help? What URL should I be using to reach my Blog? My website url is: http://thecottonexchange.net/ Thanks! Barb

Danny

From what I understand, you have your main blog as a category called "From the Editor". If that is correct, go to your custom menu, on the left hand side there should be a small box called categories. Simply tick the box that is called "From the Editor" (assuming that is the name of your blog) and click the save button. Refresh your homepage and when you click the menu item, it should take you to your blog.

Please search our forums, before posting!

bbersche

Here is a screen shot of my custom menu set up. custom menu shot.png The issue is -- my main blog no longer appears anywhere on my site. (May have happened when I made a static home page?) I haven't assigned the blog to a category or anything. I have only one sample post that I made to the blog - and that sample post appears in the footer of my page. But, aside from that, this main blog seems to exists in cyberspace and is not linked up to any navigation on my site. I'm trying to figure out how to link my main blog to the "From the Editor" menu nav I created in the screenshot above. It seems there is a field in the custom menu (under "From the Editor") where I could put a URL. I believe I just need to know the URL of where my "blog" exists, so that I can have a blog that appears on my website. But, I don't know what URL to use in that field to link to my blog... Do you know what I should do?

bbersche

Additionally - if I click on the Blog's sample post in the footer, it goes to a page called "http://thecottonexchange.net/?p=1" -- but the blog post appears in the content area independently of the nav -- and I'd like it to always appear on the "From the Editor" page. I don't want it to appear in this random, un-navigated way as is right now.

Danny

Ok well, as far as I'm aware there are two ways to set up your blog, you can create a page and call it "From the Editor" and then go to: Wordpress admin panel >> Settings >> Reading Then where the setting is "A static page" on the post page section, select the newly created page (From the Editor) above and click Save Changes. or Create a category called "From the editor". Once you have done this, go to Menu settings like in your image above and then on the left hand side (look at my image below) there should be a page and category (if you did both suggestions like I mentioned above) and do as I wrote on the image. o0unwy.png

Please search our forums, before posting!

bbersche

Great! That worked and I was able to link the nav to the blog! Thank you! I REALLY appreciate it. I now see, the "Continue Reading" link on the Blog brings people to a different viewing page of the blog with a longer layout. This longer layout also seems to be the location that people are brought to when they click on the footer Blog feed. It was out of context for me before, when I couldn't see the first page of the blog. :)

slingr

Thanks to all of you. I had this same question this morning and finding this thread helped me save a lot of time.