Sign in to follow this  
Michael_J

How to upgrade to new version of PlatformPro Base?

Michael_J

I downloaded it from Lauchpad and read the Readme file but there are NO INSTRUCTIONS. Wouldn't it be easier to use the WordPress automatic notification and upgrade system?

cmunns

You shouldn't upgrade the child theme.

Michael_J

Do you mean, Platform Base?

Shanna

Hi. I'm also using the PlatformBase that's what theme is activated), but have received no auto-update for the PlatformPro via my WordPress dashboard (which is installed but not activated). If I'm using the child theme, should I not worry about Pro update? New to wordpress stuff, so I'm sorry if this seems a simple question. Just want to make sure I'm up to speed if an update needs to occur.

Simon

Shanna what version of platformpro do you currently have? Keeping platformpro updated is the reason we insist on you using as child theme, so you can update and not lose any custom code ;)

Shanna

Hi Simon - Under the Appearance>Themes, my current theme, PlatformBase is 1.3.2, and the PlatformPro (installed but not activated) is 1.3.5. I've never received an auto-update prompt anywhere on my WP dashboard. Help? :)

Simon

No you wont ;) Upgrade warnings were introduced in 1.4 and full auto upgrades came with 1.5, were on 1.5.1 now! Do you have any custom code in platformbase files?

Shanna

My luck I bought 1.3.5! ;) Just a wee bit of custom code (less than 10 lines) in the platformbase. Have it copied in a word doc for safe keeping. What is best next step? Change name on 1.5.1 platformpro zip file and install? Completely clueless and don't want to ruin my site. Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it. Live, learn and taking notes on this one. Cheers.

Simon

Luckily, its easy! Download a fresh copy of platformbase, it has some upgraded files. Make your edits to functions.php, and if you had custom css in base.css add it to style.css in platformbase folder. Then switch theme to platformpro, then were ready for step #2 :D

Simon

Step #2 Download this little gem http://api.pagelines.com/patches/pagelines-push.zip Install it in the wordpress plugins page.. activate it and click update theme, and marvel in the awesomeness of auto-upgrades! Then switch back to platformbase..job done!

Shanna

Thanks Simon. I'm on step #2 and when I click on your link, I get a very blank page with only the text: ["1.5.1","- maintenance release"] at the top and no ability to click or download. I'm so sorry... am I doing something wrong?

Shanna

Hey Simon - thank you so much. I did it! And no custom CSS was lost and my website didn't break! Woo hoo! Thanks for your help and easy steps to complete the upgrades. I look forward to the auto-upgrades from now on! Tinkering makes me nervous! : ) Cheers!