Sign in to follow this  
joie

How to create custom 404 page

joie

Hi all, Where can I create my custom 404 page By custom i mean add my own image and wording What should i do that the 404 customization wont break if there is any future updates of platform pro thank you, joie

cmunns

copy the function section_template from the section.noposts.php file in the parent theme into the child theme. Name the new file template.noposts.php and customize the pasted portion from inside the function mentioned above.

joie

thank you adam, would you point me to the link to the detailed steps/tutorial / documentation ? rgds, joie

cmunns

There may not be detailed steps on this process quite yet...but let's walk through it. Do you have an FTP client?

joie

yes i do have, FTPzilla, this is a local copy of my wordpress. so i can copy files easily cheers, joie

kennwebguy

I'm awaiting to see details here so that I can follow and do as well. Thanks.

thewpguy

Hi Guys, I found another way around this one which makes editing the 404 page content a breeze. It takes 3 simple steps Step 1 Just create a page called 404.php paste the following code into it substituting your website url for www.website.com

<?php
	$URL= get_bloginfo('url');
	header("Location: http://www.website.com/404-page/");
	?>

Step 2 upload the file with and ftp program like filezilla. You will need to know your ftp address, username and password to do this step. Step 3 Create a page called 404-page (or whatever name you used in the code example) and add whatever message or archive widgets etc you like to the page and you're done. I have done this exact process successfully with a pagelinespro theme with the platformbase child theme installed. Hope that helps, Kind regards, Tony @thewordpressguy

cmunns

If that works it works...if you struggle with it I was going to say to copy the code from the function section_template(){} in the section.noposts.php file. Create a file called template.noposts.php in your child theme root and copy the portion from the parent file...Then you may edit to your liking.

joie

Yea thank you adams / tony I just learned from the video tutorial where you show how to customize the header to add another navigation link basically just create a child theme and copy section.nopost.php from platformpro/sections/wp folder then edit the content of the function section_template(){} cheers, joie