Sign in to follow this  
Michael_J

Platform Pro: How to Show Thumbnails in Summaries and Archives?

Michael_J

Here is a list of my archives: http://www.qamera.com/topics/visual/people/ Each of my posts has at least one photo attached to it. I would like to show the first photo from each blog post, as a thumbnail, but ONLY in views where the main photo is not otherwise shown (example: summaries, archives, etc). At the moment, no thumbnails are showing up even though I have the "show thumbnails" option enabled. Also, in some older posts, they contain BOTH a large photo AND a smaller thumbnail version of that large photo. I don't want to duplicate these. Like I said, if the large photo is actually displayed in a post, I do not want that replicated in a thumbnail. Thanks in advance.

catrina

In Settings > Blog And Posts > Post Thumbnail Placement, Post Archives needs to be checked.

Like I said, if the large photo is actually displayed in a post, I do not want that replicated in a thumbnail.
In other words, you'd like to selectively disable thumbnails for some posts?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

Michael_J

Hi Katrina, thanks for responding. If you wouldn't mind taking a look at these links, I think they will explain the issue I'm having. For most of my blog posts, I have set them up so that the user sees one large picture, and some text. If I include more than one photo in the post, I use the "Read more" feature to hide that from the posts on the blog page, in order to shorten them enhance the browsing experience. I do not use Thumbnails in my blog posts. I do not (knowingly) create them for my blogs. But I do think they are handy for summaries and archives. What I would like to achieve - without exception: 1) When a viewer goes directly to a blog post, they see the what I believe is called "Full Text" - the'lead' photo (not a thumbnail), all text, and any other photos that may be attached to that post. 2) If the viewer happens upon the blog post while browsing on the Blog page, they will see what I believe is called "Full Text" UP TO the "read more" link. They will not see any thumbnails. 3) If the viewer happens upon what I believe is called "Summary" i.e., posts in Archives or "Clip" posts in the Magazine layout mode (I am confused by all these different terms, but assume they both apply to the "non full text" styles of blog posts!), THEN - and ONLY THEN - a thumbnail would appear in the Summary. But NOT in the expanded blog once you click on the blog title. Here is an example of the problem: http://www.qamera.com/2010/09/ This is an archive. You can see that some of the "summary" posts have thumbnails, and others do not. I checked the detail of each of those blog posts, and cannot see any place where a thumbnail was individually added or not. It seems to be random. Note that "Yellowstone" has a little thumbnail. This is EXACTLY how I would want it to look, based on 3) above. However, when you click on the link, it shows BOTH the thumbnail and the 'full' version of the photo. I don't want this. When the user clicks on the link, s/he should only see the 'full' version of the photo. There is no need to see a full version and a thumbnail next to each other - it is redundant and confusing to the viewer. http://www.qamera.com/2010/09/29/yellowstone/ Note also how the first archived post, "Grand Tetons," does not have a thumbnail. I would like it and ALL archived posts to display thumbnails. Is it not possible to simply use the first photo of each post, as an automatically-generated thumbnail that appears only in summary views (feeds and archives)? I am probably just clicking the wrong buttons somewhere.

catrina

By default, the thumbnail shouldn't be visible when the full image is shown. Do you have thumbnails enabled in full posts? The photo that is used as the thumbnail is the featured image, which can be uploaded by clicking on "Set featured image" in the post editor (on the right).

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Michael_J
Do you have thumbnails enabled in full posts?
Note sure - where to enable/disable?

Michael_J

OK great. We're half-way there. I've managed to remove Thumbnails from the Full Text versions. Next, some of the archived posts have thumbnails (yay), and others do not (boo). How do I get all of my archived posts to have thumbnails? I'm guessing it has something to do with 'featured image' although it would be nice to have a default that just takes the first image? Example: "Grand Tetons" here http://www.qamera.com/2010/09/

catrina

For those posts that don't have the thumbnails, you need to upload featured images in order for the thumbnails to display. That is the easiest solution.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Michael_J

Hi Catrina, I already have images in those posts. Is it possible to designate one as 'featured'? I look all around the editing screen and could not find a place to do this.

Michael_J

Thanks. I found it. Appreciate your help!