Sign in to follow this  
inov8ed

Best way to go about adding rss boxes to page (not sidebar)

inov8ed

Hi, My goal is to have a page called "Resources" with a number of boxes/areas on this page with various RSS feeds. Almost like a news center area with links in various categories. I have tried some different options and there seems to be a number of different ways to do this. I was wondering if I can tap into the experts to see what you think might be the best way to go about it. 1. Create a page with multiple RSS widgets. This seems a bit harder than I would have thought, but I could probably create a page with a full width sidebar and add a bunch of RSS widgets with different tags. Ideally, it would be best with 2 columns so I would have to find a way to do it. No plugin or extra stuff needed. 2. Create a page and use a plugin to add shortcodes for different RSS feeds. This is pretty easy, but not really re-usable anywhere but that page, and I have to style up the page with tables or something to make the boxes look nice. 3. Create a category of soapboxes for resources and then use the plugin shortcodes in each soapbox. The nice thing about this is that I can have a Resources page setup with the soapboxes and its all set to go. I could even add these soapboxes to other pages in the future. Seems like the most scalable... I am leaning towards option 3 as it takes advantage of some of the interesting options PlatformPro has. Although, in the end, option 2 might be the easiest one to setup. Any thoughts or other ideas are most welcome. Thanks. -Adam

kastelic

I would go with number 2, then you could wrap each shortcode feed in a div and give it any kind of class or id you want to style the page. Sounds like your gonna figure it out in a way that works for you though!

inov8ed

I guess I really like the look of the way the sidebars do it, but adding sidebars into the pages looks to be annoying. I guess #2 would be easiest and I can probably copy most of the ids and classes from the sidebars in order to make it look similar. Do I just wrap it in a div class of widget? -Adam

timlinson

You could call it "widget" if you wanted, but I'd be more specific.. there might be a generic widget class in the core styles already. The idea is to give it your own unique class, and then you can reference it with your own css rules.

inov8ed

How do I add onto an existing class? Lets say I wanted it to be widget plus somre more custom CSS. How do I code that in the CSS? -Adam

cmunns

You could always use the morefoot sidebar or register your own that behave as that does.