Sign in to follow this  
bloggingbubba

Custom CSS Doesn't seem to work anymore

bloggingbubba

After leaving my site idle for about 5 months - during which time I maintained upgrades for WP, theme, and Plugins - I'm unable to make any new customizations from the CUSTOM CSS panel. I've tried adding new tags, removing existing code, and even editing simple things like the fonts... nothing works and the site remains in the same condition. Even the tags shown in Firebug don't seem to matchup with with what I've originally created. Any ideas? I'm not sure if this is a WP problem, or what? Advice is appreciated. site is at http://bloggingbubba.com

Kate

Hi Pete, I didn't see any errors in the current code, and was able to modify the code via Firebug. Did you happen to change anything with your server? I'm just curious if the permissions for the files may have changed. Are you saying you're able to save the changes and they show up in the file, but just aren't showing on the site?

bloggingbubba

Hello Kate. Thanks for your reply. Yes, I can change and save the code within the platform, but they don't show up within the site. I've tried simple changes, such as color to the body and fonts, but they won't take to the site. I can check with my webhost (GoDaddy) and see if there's anything that may have changed within the database recently; otherwise, the only other reason I can think of is that the existing codes are for my old blog, which I have taken down. I'm wondering if starting from scratch with the codes again will help. Anyway, I'll tinker around with it some more later tonight. --Pete

kastelic

Make sure you are disabling any caching plugins while you make edits.

bloggingbubba

Will try that one next, but plugins have never caused a problem before. Thanks.

cryptoking

I'm having a similar issue in which none of the Custom Code or Design Control seem to be working. I think it may be a permissions problem, so my question is, which directories and need to be 777 or 775. I'm currently working with permission settings of 770 on everything. I think this may resolve the question above. Thanks in advance.

Simon

@Pete.. 1. You are running the theme from a non standard folder, this can cause issues. The theme must always be in a folder named `platformpro` and child theme (if you use it) in `platformbase` 2. If you are still getting css caching issues, select 'inline css' under misc-settings.

bloggingbubba

@Simon That's very interesting indeed. When I originally installed the theme, I'm certain that I did so in the proper location. Actually, I used the WP theme installer to do it. None of this was ever an issue from the time I began using Pagelines iBlog, when I switched to PlatPro, and up to the time I removed old content from the site about 4-5 months ago. From that point, the site sat idle save for the upgrades that I did through WP and for plugins. In either case, I'll have a look into the directory thing. If I move the theme to the right location, will I lose anything at all? Tonight, I should be able to look into this one some more. Thanks for the help! --Pete

catrina
In either case, I'll have a look into the directory thing. If I move the theme to the right location, will I lose anything at all?
If you make the switch from the "non-standard folder" I don't think you'll lose anything, but you should have the theme and its settings backed up, anyway.

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

bloggingbubba

Okay, I'm back in business and the code changes seem to be working fine now. It seems that the problem was indeed caused by the non-standard name of the theme folder. I couldn't just simply rename it without blanking out my site so I did the following... - Backed up theme and settings. - Switched to another theme. In my case, iBlog 4. - Deleted Platform Pro from WP Themes. - Re-uploaded Platform Pro via WP uploader. - Restored theme's settings. Hope this might help anyone else with a similar issue. Thanks everyone!