Sign in to follow this  
21thirteen

Read More tag not working

21thirteen    1
21thirteen

I'm using the whitehouse pro_dev theme and the <!--more--> tag is not working. I've tried remedies suggested by other posts in the forum that seem to be related but no luck. Please help!

cmunns    16
cmunns

Are you adding it to the post edit screen? Try using the HTML editor

21thirteen    1
21thirteen

Thank you for replying, Adam. I've tried it using both the visual and the html editor and no go. Is there some setting in the theme options I don't have correct? Or could it be something else?

catrina    103
catrina

Was it working before or is this is the first time you're trying to implement it?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

21thirteen    1
21thirteen

Hi Catrina - this is the first time I tried implementing it. Thank you!

Kate    3
Kate

Hi Perry, Also, want to point out that you need to make sure you don't have "Excerpts" turned on. You'll need to select to show "Full Post".

21thirteen    1
21thirteen

Hi Kate - thank you - can you please tell me where "Excerpts" can be turned on or off and where shoe Full Post is? In the Theme Options, Pages and Pots section, I see: Post Excerpt Placement Where should the theme use post excerpts? Only on blog pages and search Only on single post pages All blog/post pages Don't show and I see: Full Post Content Placement Where should the theme place the full content of posts? Show full content on single pages only Show full content on all blog pages I don't see anything that says "Excerpts" or "Full Post" there or in the edit section of the page. Also please note that this is a PAGE, not a POST! Thanks!

timlinson    3
timlinson
Also please note that this is a PAGE, not a POST!
Not sure what you mean here. I don't think pages in wordpress even have excerpts. Excerpts are only for posts to lead to the full post. Pages just show the whole page content.

21thirteen    1
21thirteen

Well, ok, Tim - thank you - so I can't use the "Read More" tag in a page, only in a post . . . oh well . . . have to rethink how I'm going to do what I need to do. BUT, could someone PLEASE answer my questions above from Kate's response: Exactly where and how do I find the settings to make the "Read More" tag work? - the tag is STILL not working even in a post - I've got "Post Excerpt Placement" set to "All blog/post pages" and I've got "Full Post Content Placement" set to "Show full content on all blog pages". I don't see any other settings anywhere that seem relevant; I don't see an option to turn "Excerpts" on or off or one that says, exclusively, "Full Page" as Kate suggested. PLEASE answer as if I know nothing about Theme Options, which I don't, and explain fully - this is the first time I've used Page Lines. Thank you

Kate    3
Kate

You can find the settings under Settings->Blog and Posts. But, this is only for Posts, as Tim mentioned above. You would have to do some PHP modifications if you wanted to do an excerpt of a page.

21thirteen    1
21thirteen

guys . . . PLEASE!!!! you are experts and i admire you tremendously for that . . . but PLEASE try to think like someone who knows NOTHING about this! In Settings, there IS no "Blog and Posts" section. In Theme Options there is a section called "Pages and Posts", NOT "Blog and Posts". If that is the correct one, then EXACTLY which setting(s) do I use and EXACTLY which option do I toggle? PLEASE be specific! Thank you

cmunns    16
cmunns

The Read More tag only works when displaying the "full post content" on the main post page.

projectsimply    0
projectsimply

Perry, just chanced upon this and attempting to overcome a similar challenge. Have to confess I'm as bewildered and confused as you however currently investigating this too in Platform Pro Settings>Blog and posts. Hope that helps?

projectsimply    0
projectsimply

Is there a way to use "Read More" tag for display summaries of posts for a specific category?

catrina    103
catrina

Is it only one specific category page that you want the "Read More" tag to be displayed in?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse