Sign in to follow this  
msigel

update installs fail

msigel

This may be a a very basic, silly question, but I'm a newbie to wp and the existing discussions regarding my question, while very concise, still didn't help me solve the problem. platform pro and the base are both already installed and running (this was done by someone other than myself, on a different computer), but I want to install the most current update to take advantage of some new features. First, I downloaded platform pro from the launchpad, but the files automatically unzip when they are downloaded. I figured that I would simply compress the files before I installed them. Once I have zipped the file, I upload and install on the install themes page of WP, then receive the following error message: 30l06s6.png is this because it is already installed and there are no new updates to be installed? am I uploading updates from the wrong location? I tried renaming the folder as one forum post suggested (this did not work- I assume because, as another forum post said, the folder was named something other than 'platformpro'). What step am I missing or what am I doing wrong? I just want to be sure I don't keep getting the error message every time I'd like to update. Thanks!

msigel

for some reason the tinypic url I used to display the screenshot didn't work. perhaps this will: 30l06s6.png

Simon

you need to either delete the theme folder OR rename it to something other than `platformpro`. Then you can upload via zip. Wordpress does not support theme upgrades using the zip uploader interface.

msigel

Simon- Thank you for your reply. However, I'm a bit confused. Why would I bother renaming files in order to upload via zip if WP doesn't even support theme upgrades using that method? I am running 1.2.3, not sure what version of the Base I am running. How do I find out when new updates are available? After reading your reply, I tried to find an alternate update install method and found on the Pagelines 'Updating your Theme' doc (http://www.pagelines.com/docs/upgrading) that I should use FireFTP in conjunction with Firefox. I downloaded FireFTP and began following the doc's instructions, but neither technique one nor two is helpful- I run into problems with both: technique one- I get as far as step one before I get stuck. Step 2 tells me to "login to FTP and navigate to your WordPress install > ???wp-content??? > ???themes??? folder." The problem with this is that, while I have downloaded and followed the instructions for the FireFTP install several times over, I have no idea where I would "login" to this FTP and proceed to navigate to anything. The FireFTP install did nothing to my Firefox set up, and I see no possible way to "login" to anything FTP related. I've followed the FTP install support instructions, but I'm just going in circles with this whole thing. technique two: again, i get to step two, which tells me "Then just navigate to the ???wp-content??™ > ???themes??™ folder in your WordPress install." Am I supposed to have set up my own folders on my computer named 'wp-content' and 'themes'? Where are these folders? My updates live on the desktop (again, they are not zip files unless I've compressed them myself- they download to my downloads folder completely unzipped).

Simon

Because if you change theme to twentyten, then change the folder name to platformpro_old THEN you can use the zip uploader, as it will install to folder platformpro with no problems.

Stefan

Hi Mark, Who are you hosting with? They should give you the FTP details (you should be able to log in with your hosting credentials anyway) and do the whole process (or at least the name changing part) through FTP. You should FTP to your host name (website) and then rename the platformpro folder to platformpro_old. Then the WordPress Upload tool will work! :)

msigel

Hi Stefan, I don't know much at all about FTPs and servers, etc. I have downloaded the FireFTP from http://fireftp.mozdev.org/ but once I download, it brings me right back to the main page- I'm not given any sort of ftp 'details' after download, and I really am not sure where to go with this. What are my hosting credentials? Where would I find them? I really need to get my website set up, but I can't even begin to work on it until I get PlatformPro installed properly. I have set my theme back to TwentyTen (as was suggested on another forum discussion thread) and I am installing PlatformPro as the install video tutorial tells me: download platformpro, upload the zip file, then download the base, upload the zip file, and activate. The problem is that I don't even get as far as the base because PlatformPro continues to give me this message: "Unpacking the package??¦ Installing the theme??¦ Destination folder already exists. /home/content/41/7554741/html/wp-content/themes/platformpro/ Theme install failed." I have tried to delete the destination folders that already exist, but I have no idea where they are- i had already thrown them all in the trash. I simply need some clear, step-by-step instructions on how to get rid of the 'theme install failed' message and have a successful install so that I may finally begin work on my website with all the options that PlatformPro affords me.

msigel
http://www.pagelines.com/forum/topic/2284 In this discussion thread, there are several conflicting ways to go about updating. I read through each suggestion, but I don't understand things like: "2. On the server, in your /themes/ folder; rename the theme folder you're using (iBlogPro for example) to something like iBlogPro(old)" - where is the /themes/ folder located? What server are they talking about? "Download the zip from launchpad and unpack it locally Open the style.css file and change the "Theme Name:" attribute to something different than the current theme installed, ie. PlataformPro1.2 Save the file and pack everything again in a zip file. WP doesn't really care about the zip file name": - What does it mean to 'unpack locally'? I tried opening the style.css file but I am unable to edit the text that I see when I do, so changing the 'theme name' is impossible. Originally, two weeks ago, I had PlatformPro installed and running fine. But I received notice that there was a new update, and when I tried to upload the new update's zip file, I got the 'install failed' message, which started me on a wild goose chase of reading confusing forum threads, trying multiple operations that I don't understand, and getting more and more frustrated but making no progress. Again, I need step-by-step instructions on how to start from scratch and get PlatformPro installed properly, written in terms that a normal person with absolutely no programming/coding/css/etc. experience can understand.

catrina
2. On the server, in your /themes/ folder; rename the theme folder you're using (iBlogPro for example) to something like iBlogPro(old)" - where is the /themes/ folder located? What server are they talking about?
You can access the themes/theme folder using FTP. Do you have an FTP program or can you access FTP through the dashboard on your hosting provider?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse