Sign in to follow this  
billynino

sidebar background colour

billynino

Hello I am having real difficulty changing the background colour of my sidebar. In css custom styling I have tried the following to no effect: 1. #sidebar1{background-color: #000000;} 2. #sidebar-wrap{background: #000000;} Firebug shows that the first of these options should work though it doesn't. I am using the PlatformPro theme. The link to my site is: http://thecutmonkey.com/ any help would be great cheers Bill

Kate

In your custom CSS code (generated into dynamic.css), I see:

#sidebar1{background-color:#ffffff;}

So, if you want it to be #000000, be sure to change that. Other than that, the code looks correct and should work.

billynino

Hi Kate I have tried this option but it doesn't want to work - do you know how I can alter the theme (or base theme) directly to see if that works??

kastelic

Try adding

!important
to override the dynamic stylesheet.
#sidebar1{background-color:#cecece !important;}

billynino

Hi Jimmy thanks for your suggestion unfortunately that didn't work either - i am really at a loss as to what the problem may be

billynino

Hi Catrina i added #sidebar1{background-color: #000000;} to base.css but this doesn't change anything I must have something conflicting somewhere - but don't know what it is for my template setup in pagelinespro for sidebar1 i have used the primary sidebar option other custom css i have entered includes the following, though I don't think any of this is conflicting: .icons .stumbleupon{display:none} div.branding_wrap {text-align:center} .widget-title{color:#000000 ; font-family:"Coda:800" ;} #primary-nav li a{color:#0066CC;font-family:"Neuton"; font-weight: bold;} #footer li a {color:#000000;} #primary-nav li a {font-size:0.9em;} a { color: #0066CC; }

kastelic

I see this line in your custom CSS:

#sidebar1{background-color: #ffffff;}

which would make it white.

billynino

Sorry for my ignorance Jimmy but I cannot see this line in my custom CSS - where exactly are you looking??

billynino

Hi Jimmy so to change this I should be able to enter the following: #sidebar1{background-color: #000000;} into either custom css or the base css file which i have tried to no avail but anyway it seems that any code i enter into custom css or the base css file is having no effect so it seems the problem is wider than this - i might try to delete and then re-upload pagelinespro to see if this fixes it - what do you think?? - is there anything else I should try first?? cheers Bill

Kate

Hey Bill, I know I had tried it successfully before I posted. Perhaps there's an error in your CSS somewhere. I would check for unclosed tags, etc.

kastelic

Did you try !important?

#sidebar1{background-color:#000000 !important;}

billynino

Hey Jimmy, Kate, Catrina - thanks for all your help. It seems that my problem was with my browser - for some reason Mozilla wasn't updating changes to my css for at least 24 hours so it appeared that nothing was happening - I don't know if this is typical?? - after checking my site in internet explorer and safari i realised that the changes i was making in css were in fact working - think i'll preview in safari from now on - many thanks for all your help cheers Bill

kastelic

Oh I should have thought of this before, you should disable caching plugins while making edits to your site.

billynino

Thanks Jimmy your !important code works a treat too - thanks for that tip cheers Bill