Sign in to follow this  
joie

What tools do u use to install wordpress for local development

joie

Hi all, I have started wordpress development for my client. Development and testing on live site is not a very good idea. Do you guys know: 1. What software / tools do u use to install wordpress locally 2. What are the tools do u use in the development to ensure that migration to live site is smooth and less problematic 3. Do u know any article that is helpful in setting / migratin to live site ? 4. What tools / platform do u guys at Pagelines use when developing for client thank you, cheers, Joie

Simon

Joie, it really depends on your OS We use OSX for dev work, we use MAMP as a local server, windows has a similar setup called XAMPP, both are apache/mysql/php all in one. Then you need a GOOD editor, textmate for osx or notepad++ for windows. Firefox with firebug for debugging your css. I strongly suggest once you are happy with the code side of your site, to getting it running remotely on the server, because its not easy to get a site 100% the same locally as remotely, there are many 'maintenance mode' type plugins to hide your site behind a nice 'coming soon' message. good luck!

joie

Thank you simon!, I am using windows

because its not easy to get a site 100% the same locally as remotely
Yup the migrating part is the daunting task. Therefore i am looking what are the tools / best practices that is used by you guys to reduce the errors in the migrating part to the live site cheers, joie