Sign in to follow this  
inov8ed

inserting something at the end of the metabar

inov8ed

Hi, I am trying to insert the number of postviews at the end of the platformpro metabar that shows post views. I seem to have just about everything working using a bunch of hooks and this filter to insert into the metabar: ` add_filter('pagelines_post_metabar', 'customize_metabar'); function customize_metabar($metabar){ $mymetabar = $metabar . userfunc_get_post_views(get_the_ID(), true); //$metabar is the original metabar return $mymetabar; } ` The only problem is, that instead of inserting it at the end of the bar after "leave a comment", it makes a whole new metabar above the current one. If I switch the code to just plain text in a single quote, ie `$metabar.'some text';` then it places the text in the right place. Any ideas what I need to do? Thanks! -Adam

catrina

Have you already tried out this code? (from the other topic)?:

add_filter('pagelines_post_metabar', 'customize_metabar');

function customize_metabar($metabar){

$mymetabar = 'test'.$metabar; //$metabar is the original metabar

return $mymetabar;

}

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

inov8ed

Hi Catrina, Yes, this works and puts the word "test" at the end of the metabar. However, when I try to replace the word with the function is where it doesn't seem to display in the right spot. Even matching the code exactly as above: ` add_filter('pagelines_post_metabar', 'customize_metabar'); function customize_metabar($metabar){ $mymetabar = userfunc_get_post_views(get_the_ID(), true).$metabar; //$metabar is the original metabar return $mymetabar; } ` But the insert comes not at the end of the metabar as expected with the word "test" that works from above but rather on a separate line in front of the metabar. It is like it isn't included in the metabar div. That is what confused me. -Adam

catrina

Hm, what are you trying to accomplish with this function? What are you putting inside the function (i.e. an image, a sentence)?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

inov8ed

It is basically the post views from the wordpress.com stats. It seem to work fine, just the location issue. Here is the function I am putting in: ` function userfunc_get_post_views($postID, $display_to_all = false) { if ( $display_to_all || is_user_logged_in() ) { global $post_stats; foreach ( $post_stats as $p ) { if ( $p['post_id'] == $postID ) { ?> (<?php echo number_format_i18n( $p['views']) . ' views'; ?>) <?php } } } } ` -Adam

catrina

Have you tried adding it somewhere else to see if it works? (To see if the issue is the placement)

Designer | Catrina Dulay

inov8ed

How would I go about doing that given the filter is what is putting in the code? Should I try putting it in another filter somewhere else? It seems like it must have something to with the way the customized metabar is created. Does that filter actually create a second metabar or add to the existing one? It seems like it should be just adding, but when I swap the text for a function it pops it out of the metabar... -Adam

catrina

It's supposed to add to the existing metabar, but since it's not a hook like "pagelines_metabar_end" (like some other filters), it's just not behaving the right way. I've searched for other filters you can use for the metabar, and the pagelines_post_metabar, but it's the only one that exists. Have you considered using a different hook that places your code in a position near the metabar?

Designer | Catrina Dulay

timlinson

What exactly does userfunc_get_post_views return? Can you post the function?

inov8ed

Hi Tim, It is posted above. It basically gathers the wordpress.com stats for a post and posts it for all to see. I sort of got around the issue by using CSS to float:right the whole thing. This basically stuck it on the same line to the far right. Not exactly what I was planning but it may do the trick. -Adam