Sign in to follow this  
italoprofeti

Gutters

italoprofeti

Hi! Any way to create transparent vertical gutters for the sidebars? Tried with margin right: 35px but it simply extends the gutter between main and sidebar??¦ :-)

catrina

Which selector were you adding

margin right: 35px;

to? Also, can you please post a link to your site?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

Founder | Catrina and Mouse

italoprofeti

BTW, I also have a WP Cirrus tag cloud in that sidebar, but I disabled that 'cos it made me crazy by making Firebug flicker up and down :-p

catrina

In order to increase that margin space, you'll need to widen the overall blog page width. Do you mind doing this?

Please read the docs before posting. Please do not private message me unless I ask you to.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

italoprofeti

Not at all! I need header and footer to be aligned with the new larger width, though. :-) And what's more I'm thinking of 10-15 pxs transparent space each side of main content??¦

kastelic

Well, you could add margin-right to the #sidebar1 div but then you'd have to manually widen the whole container too or manually reduce the width of the sidebar by the same number of pixels or else it will drop down. In your case if you just dragged the width of the sidebar wider in the Layout Editor wouldn't you acheive the same effect?

italoprofeti

done! look here problem with this approach is that alignment is not possible 'cos lenght of sidebar1, 2 and main column depends on contents. Is there a container that extends all the way down for each of these three elements regardless of contents, that can support colored bkg and possibly rounded borders? As it is now, the footer is completely alien to the main content, 'cos the two sidebars never get even to its proximity??¦

italo

I mean a different container for each of sidebar1, sidebar2, and main column, that extends to the bottom irrespective of contents.

#site

does extend all the way down, but it cannot allow transparent section, can it? :-)

catrina

Ah, I see. For sidebar 1 the selector is #sidebar1 and for the main column, the selector is #column-main

Designer | Catrina Dulay

italo

Yepp! Those I used. Problem is if their physical contents is not equal (same height in pixels) their bkg too will end up different in height. That way I will have the footer "touching" only the longest of them, and two areas hanging up. Ugly. something like this: ||| | ___ :-) I suppose the answer is no, there is not a container for those elements that does not grow with contents, but simply extends anyway down to footer, even when empty?

catrina

It should extend down to the footer by default, but if you want to move the footer up by adjusting the margin, it's possible.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

italo

It doesn't. At least, I can't make it do it. See for yourself, here. Or try firebug on sidebars here. :-)

catrina

When I look at your source I see this:

<div class="dcol-pad">
																	<div class="widget">
																		</div>
																</div>

It's between the main content and the footer and it shows nothing. You should go to Template Setup and disable the morefoot sidebars in the Morefoot Area template.

Designer | Catrina Dulay

italo

Sorry for delay! I tried but invain. Only #maincontent seems to get to footer no matter how. sidebar1 & 2 and main col all stop with contents leaving gap between footer and main:-( PS as you see, Firefox 5 seems not to allow return any longer. I'll switch to chrome to write back next time??¦

Kate

Hi Italo, Not sure I'm understanding your issue, but, by default with HTML/CSS, the longest "column" is the one that will touch the "footer" of a site. There are ways with images and CSS to do "faux" columns. You can use JS. Or, you can use some tricky CSS.