13 replies to this topic

#1 rhildebrand

rhildebrand

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 01:25 PM

Hi,
I'm using PlatformPro and just noticed that it seems like my "Recent Posts" sidebar widget is causing the layout of my author pages to appear incorrectly. The sidebar is appearing below the main body content.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Seems like the width of the recent posts widget is dependent upon the length of my post titles. I have the current custom code set for my author pages:

#content.narrowcolumn {
margin: 30px;
float:left;
width: 600px;
}

The layout for my pages are 688px for the main content area and 272px for the right sidebar.

#2 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:39 PM

Something is overriding the layout editor here, but you can redefine your narrowcolumn to fix it. ` #content.narrowcolumn { width: 510px; } `

#3 rhildebrand

rhildebrand

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:01 PM

Adam, That works as far as bringing the sidebar back up beside the main body content rather than below it, however it doesn't solve the problem. Using this method I'd have to adjust my width depending on the length of my post titles. For some reason on my author pages long post titles aren't breaking to two lines. I want the columns to be the same width on the author pages as with the rest of the site. Any further help would be appreciated...

#4 Kate

Kate

Advocate

• Members
  • 3039 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:02 PM

Hey Ryan,
It seems you still have the "narrowcolumn" width set to 688px. Please try this instead in your custom CSS:

#5 rhildebrand

rhildebrand

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:55 PM

Kate, Thanks, but that does the same thing as before. (Note: I made the change that Adam suggested to 510, then changed it back to 688, because I don't believe adjusting the width addresses the real problem). If you look at the sidebar on any other page of my site you'll see the post title "Celebrating the Best of Both Signing Ceremony with Sentara" is wrapped to a second line. For some reason on the author pages it is not and I believe that's what's causing the issue. Any suggestions? Help please this is driving me nuts!

#6 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:43 PM

It appears to be fixed now, what was the issue after all?

#7 rhildebrand

rhildebrand

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 04:41 PM

Adam, It's not fixed yet. Right now I'm using the CSS you suggested, which does bring the sidebar up to the correct position beside the main body content. However, I believe the real issue is with the title lengths in my "Recent Posts" section. See how it looks on the author page vs. the rest of my site? For some reason only on the author pages it's not bumping long titles to a second line. Any suggestions?

#8 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 June 2011 - 04:55 PM

Is your "Recent Posts" section the "Home" page? I don't see issues with the post titles on your Home page...

#9 rhildebrand

rhildebrand

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:18 PM

Catrina, Not sure I understand your question. The recent posts widget links to each of my posts.

#10 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:24 AM

Ah, I assumed your "Recent Posts" section was the blog page where your most recent posts are displayed. The long links in your "Recent Posts" widget aren't being bumped down to a second line because the width of the sidebar is wide enough to fit the entire lines of long links. Do you want the width of the sidebar in the author pages to decrease so that the links can do that?

#11 rhildebrand

rhildebrand

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:38 PM

Catrina,
Yes, I'd like my author page sidebar to appear like the sidebar throughout the rest of my site,

#12 Kate

Kate

Advocate

• Members
  • 3039 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:58 PM

Hey Ryan,
For starters, the sidebar on the last page you've linked to has a width set to it with this line of code:

#13 rhildebrand

rhildebrand

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:06 PM

Kate,
I believe that did the trick. However, just before your message I was getting ready to post that I now suddenly have a new problem...

My custom css settings have not changed since Adams initial response of:

#content.narrowcolumn {
margin: 30px;
float:left;
width:500px;
}

However, now my author page looks like

(before I added the #sidebar-wrap code).

Starting to think my author pages have a mind of their own. Thanks for your help!

#14 rhildebrand

rhildebrand

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:23 PM

Kate, Disregard my last. Somehow, my layout settings had changed (though I had not messed with these since first setting up the site months ago), so it was a simple fix. Your previous suggestion did indeed fix it. It's not a perfect match with my other pages, but close enough that I'm not sure anyone other than myself would notice (if you pay attention you'll see the margins change as you navigate between author pages and other pages on my site). Thanks for your help - now I can put this author page mess behind me!