Add/remove custom widget areas

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 platinum

platinum

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:55 PM

Hi, I am using Platform Pro. I would like to be able to add or remove (more importantly remove) the widgetized areas that are displayed in the "Dashboard > Appearance > Widgets" area. For example, I want only the 'primary sidebar' and the pagelines 'universal sidebar' to be displayed and all other sidebars to be hidden. How can I achieve this? Thanks, Luke

#2 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:15 AM

Do you mean that you want to remove them from the Widgets settings page on the Dashboard permanently or you want to remove them from your site? If it's the latter, you can disable the sidebars you want by going to Settings > Template Setup.

#3 platinum

platinum

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:22 PM

Hi Catrina,

I mean that I want to remove them from the Widgets settings page on the Dashboard permanently.

Similar to this modification to "functions.php" to remove default widgets...

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

But in this instance I want to remove the sidebar options available.

#4 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:48 PM

#5 platinum

platinum

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:33 PM

Hi Adam,

I'm really new to php but keen to learn more.

I understand that have to add the following code to my "child theme" functions.php file...

And for each line of this line

I need to be replace the

with the name of the pagelines sidebar.

What are the names of the pagelines sidebars?

And where should I have looked to find the name of the pageline sidebars? Can you find the names of things like this using Firebug? If so, can you let me know how?

Thanks,

Luke

#6 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:40 PM

I believe you can just use sidebar-1, sidebar-2, etc in the order that they show up.

#7 platinum

platinum

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:02 AM

Hi Adam, Thanks, that worked. Is there something that I could have done to figure this out myself that it was 'sidebar-1, sidebar-2, etc' ? I am asking because your answer may help me to solve more issues like this in the future more easily. Cheers, Luke

#8 timlinson

timlinson

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1032 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:04 AM

You asked earlier about firebug.. basically just right click the sidebar in question, click "inspect element," and it'll take you to the general vicinity of the sidebar code for that page. You should be able to see the IDs and classes.

#9 platinum

platinum

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:09 AM

Hi Tim, Thanks, I was having a look around in firebug but am new to that too, and didn't understand how, or if, firebug related to php, but Ive just had another look and I see the ID and classes that Adam refered to above. That's a big help and with Adams reference above to wordpress codex I should be able to figure a few more things out now more easily. Thank you all. Luke