Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

ipad / iphone background issues

Question

Posted · Report post

Hi there, I am getting an annoying right-hand column that appears on an ipad and iphone. It has the same colour that I have selected as the background colour. It does NOT show up on http://ipadpeek.com/ but is very much there on a real ipad and iphone. My site is http://www.basunti-yoga-india.co.uk Please help! Thanks Jamie

47 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

PS Just realised this is happening on all of my websites that I've done in Platform Pro.

Posted · Report post

Hi James! I've never seen this before. It's possible that this is related to your outdated version 1.2.3. You should create a test copy of your site, update it to 1.5 and see if the problem persists. Ricardo

Posted · Report post

Ok, I have one in 1.3.1 that works fine and another with 1.4.1 that does the same thing. It can't be the custom code as the 1.4.1 doesn't have any. One other silly question as I never really got around to figuring it out, but I always install both Platform Pro theme and Base theme, and then I activate the Base theme, is this right? Or should I be using the Platfrom Pro theme, what is the difference? Cheers

Posted · Report post

Regarding the site's displaying the same behavior, can you please post a list of them complete with the version info? Thanks! Regarding installation, you should always install both and activate Base, where you'll make your changes. This way, when a new version comes out, you can update the parent theme (platformpro) without disrupting your site or undoing any of your changes. You can find this and other advice in the docs section. Ricardo

Posted · Report post

Have just noticed that the 'global content width' (in the layout editor) in the theme that works perfectly on the ipad is set to 964 width, whereas the other themes are set to 960, could this be anything to do with it? And how do you change these widths, they don't want to budge. Thanks

Posted · Report post

Ok, thanks for that, just read it myself and understand it finally. :-) Ok, Here are two that work. Base 1.3.1 http://www.cotswold-acupuncture.co.uk 1.0.4 http://www.french-cycling-tours.co.uk And here are two that have the right=hand column background issue: 1.4.1 http://www.independentcelebrityliaison.com 1.0.4 http://www.basunti-yoga-india.co.uk Cheers

Posted · Report post

iPad's Safari is scaling down the content on all sites. Not sure if that's the reason but lets go along with that. What do you mean "they don't want to budge"? Can't you drag the blue outside margin of the page in the layout editor? Ricardo

Posted · Report post

Wow....had no idea that was how you did it! Ok, have tried a few different widths but no change. J

Posted · Report post

Humm.. what's about each site's Design Mode (you can see this in PlatformPro Settings > Design Control)? Are there any commonalities between working (or non-working) sites? Ricardo

Posted · Report post

Thanks again for looking at this Riccardo :-) I've had a look. The only differences I can see are the sizes of the background. The one that works has a background that is 220 x 800 The ones that don't have backgrounds that are: 2400 x 400 and 2000 x 820 Got to go and play cricket now but will look at it again tonight, cheers for all your help. Jamie

Posted · Report post

So they are all using the same Design Mode?! Which one is it? Full Width Design with Canvas, Full Width Design Framework or Fixed Width Design Framework? Ricardo

Posted · Report post

Sorry, yup, all fixed width design framework. Jamie

Posted · Report post

I was trying to see independentcelebrityliaison but it's still in maintenance mode... Ricardo

Posted · Report post

Ok, will turn maintenance mode off for a bit, you should see a black bar to the right of the page on an ipad. cheers

Posted · Report post

James, Actually the only one not doing it is cotswold-acupuncture. The French tours site has also the bar, it's small but it's there (at least on an iPhone). Under that light, the only differences seems to be that you are using the child theme there and it's also the only site where you don't have a featured slide with a full background image. Ricardo

Posted · Report post

As far as I know I am using the child theme on all the sites, AND they all have feature sliders. The Acupuncture site slider is very subtle but all that top text is actually an image. Jamie

Posted · Report post

Well... you listed one as Base and the others you didn't so I assumed you're using the parent theme on those. Regarding the slider I didn't say it didn't had one, I said it was the only one without a slide with a full background image. Ricardo

Posted · Report post

Not sure what you mean mate, all the features are the same size on all sites, and all have backgrounds. Thanks for trying anyway, sounds like it's a bit doomed, got to concentrate on other things for a bit and not worry about it. Cheers for all your help Jamie

Posted · Report post

I get it on the iphone too. It looks like some of the content on those browsers is longer than other parts causing the margin to show up. Try adding overflow:hidden for some of the elements. It's hard to say in this case as everything appears to be the same width, but maybe for example the feature images in safari don't clip the way they should?

Posted · Report post

I'm having the same issue on jerrydellfarm.com It looks fine in computer browsers, but I get a white line down the right-hand side of the site on my iPad. It's also interesting that the site is flush-left rather than being centered. I'd appreciate any help that someone can offer!!! Thanks SO much in advance.

Posted · Report post

Hi again! I just wanted to mention that I have other sites completes in Platform Pro that are working just fine on the iPad, such as pwn-usa.org, pointsfive.com, and marionsvintagebakeshop.com I'm trying to figure out what the difference is, but can't come up with one thing that stands out. Originally, I had thought that maybe it had something to do with the costom sizing of my feature wrap, but when I removed it, it still had the white bar down the side. It just occurred to me it's the only site that uses a tiled background image. Not sure if that's significant. One other thing to note is that my body background is supposed to have the tan repeating pattern over the white, tiled to cover the entire thing. Any ideas??? Please?? :)

Posted · Report post

I'm making a little progress. I added some custom CSS to get the background tiled image to show up in place of the white bar on my iPad (I had defined the same image as the background in the Platform settings, but they didn't show on the iPad). So, it looks a little better. So, now it just looks like the website is not centered. It's also interesting that even the WP gray toolbar does not extend to the edge of the screen. I've attached a screenshot so that you can see what I am talking about.Photo-on-2011-06-14-at-21.20.jpg

Posted · Report post

I still haven't found a fix for my websites so if anybody nails this please pst the code on here!! Just for you info I have various Platform Pro sites that work fine on the ipad and some that do not ....but NONE of them have a tiled background, they all have a fixed image about 700 pixels deep. Thanks very much Jamie

Posted · Report post

Hey James! Thanks for your comment... I tried removing the background and it didn't do anything, so I didn't think that was the problem, but I am stumped. I checked out your sites listed above on my iPad and they look great, with no right-hand column. How did you do that? :)Jackie

Posted · Report post

Hey Jackie, Thanks for this. I hadn't noticed that http://www.basunti-yoga-india.co.uk was wroking fine now ......I updated the theme the other day so that must have fixed the glitch. http://www.independentcelebrityliaison.com is still playing up though, I get a black bar to the side. One thing I've noticed is it is always the colour that you have selected for you background/footer. Will let you know if I find anything. Thanks:-) Jamie