ipad / iphone background issues

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 freshlydesigned

freshlydesigned

• Members

• 138 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:08 AM

Hi there, I am getting an annoying right-hand column that appears on an ipad and iphone. It has the same colour that I have selected as the background colour. It does NOT show up on http://ipadpeek.com/ but is very much there on a real ipad and iphone. My site is http://www.basunti-yoga-india.co.uk Please help! Thanks Jamie

#2 freshlydesigned

freshlydesigned

• Members

• 138 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 01:59 PM

PS Just realised this is happening on all of my websites that I've done in Platform Pro.

#3 ricardo

ricardo

Advocate

• Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:51 PM

Hi James! I've never seen this before. It's possible that this is related to your outdated version 1.2.3. You should create a test copy of your site, update it to 1.5 and see if the problem persists. Ricardo

#4 freshlydesigned

freshlydesigned

• Members

• 138 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 03:10 PM

Ok, I have one in 1.3.1 that works fine and another with 1.4.1 that does the same thing. It can't be the custom code as the 1.4.1 doesn't have any. One other silly question as I never really got around to figuring it out, but I always install both Platform Pro theme and Base theme, and then I activate the Base theme, is this right? Or should I be using the Platfrom Pro theme, what is the difference? Cheers

#5 ricardo

ricardo

Advocate

• Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 03:15 PM

Regarding the site's displaying the same behavior, can you please post a list of them complete with the version info?
Thanks!

Regarding installation, you should always install both and activate Base, where you'll make your changes.
This way, when a new version comes out, you can update the parent theme (platformpro) without disrupting your site or undoing any of your changes.

You can find this and other advice in the docs section.

Ricardo

#6 freshlydesigned

freshlydesigned

• Members

• 138 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 03:16 PM

Have just noticed that the 'global content width' (in the layout editor) in the theme that works perfectly on the ipad is set to 964 width, whereas the other themes are set to 960, could this be anything to do with it? And how do you change these widths, they don't want to budge. Thanks

#7 freshlydesigned

freshlydesigned

• Members

• 138 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 03:22 PM

Ok, thanks for that, just read it myself and understand it finally. :-) Ok, Here are two that work. Base 1.3.1 http://www.cotswold-acupuncture.co.uk 1.0.4 http://www.french-cycling-tours.co.uk And here are two that have the right=hand column background issue: 1.4.1 http://www.independe...rityliaison.com 1.0.4 http://www.basunti-yoga-india.co.uk Cheers

#8 ricardo

ricardo

Advocate

• Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 03:22 PM

iPad's Safari is scaling down the content on all sites. Not sure if that's the reason but lets go along with that. What do you mean "they don't want to budge"? Can't you drag the blue outside margin of the page in the layout editor? Ricardo

#9 freshlydesigned

freshlydesigned

• Members

• 138 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 03:31 PM

Wow....had no idea that was how you did it! Ok, have tried a few different widths but no change. J

#10 ricardo

ricardo

Advocate

• Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 03:51 PM

Humm.. what's about each site's Design Mode (you can see this in PlatformPro Settings > Design Control)? Are there any commonalities between working (or non-working) sites? Ricardo

#11 freshlydesigned

freshlydesigned

• Members

• 138 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:00 PM

Thanks again for looking at this Riccardo :-) I've had a look. The only differences I can see are the sizes of the background. The one that works has a background that is 220 x 800 The ones that don't have backgrounds that are: 2400 x 400 and 2000 x 820 Got to go and play cricket now but will look at it again tonight, cheers for all your help. Jamie

#12 ricardo

ricardo

Advocate

• Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:09 PM

So they are all using the same Design Mode?! Which one is it? Full Width Design with Canvas, Full Width Design Framework or Fixed Width Design Framework? Ricardo

#13 freshlydesigned

freshlydesigned

• Members

• 138 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 01:29 PM

Sorry, yup, all fixed width design framework. Jamie

#14 ricardo

ricardo

Advocate

• Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 02:17 PM

I was trying to see independentcelebrityliaison but it's still in maintenance mode... Ricardo

#15 freshlydesigned

freshlydesigned

• Members

• 138 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 02:24 PM

Ok, will turn maintenance mode off for a bit, you should see a black bar to the right of the page on an ipad. cheers

#16 ricardo

ricardo

Advocate

• Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:14 PM

James, Actually the only one not doing it is cotswold-acupuncture. The French tours site has also the bar, it's small but it's there (at least on an iPhone). Under that light, the only differences seems to be that you are using the child theme there and it's also the only site where you don't have a featured slide with a full background image. Ricardo

#17 freshlydesigned

freshlydesigned

• Members

• 138 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:32 PM

As far as I know I am using the child theme on all the sites, AND they all have feature sliders. The Acupuncture site slider is very subtle but all that top text is actually an image. Jamie

#18 ricardo

ricardo

Advocate

• Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:37 PM

Well... you listed one as Base and the others you didn't so I assumed you're using the parent theme on those. Regarding the slider I didn't say it didn't had one, I said it was the only one without a slide with a full background image. Ricardo

#19 freshlydesigned

freshlydesigned

• Members

• 138 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 03:48 PM

Not sure what you mean mate, all the features are the same size on all sites, and all have backgrounds. Thanks for trying anyway, sounds like it's a bit doomed, got to concentrate on other things for a bit and not worry about it. Cheers for all your help Jamie

#20 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:17 PM

I get it on the iphone too. It looks like some of the content on those browsers is longer than other parts causing the margin to show up. Try adding overflow:hidden for some of the elements. It's hard to say in this case as everything appears to be the same width, but maybe for example the feature images in safari don't clip the way they should?