• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jwchameleoncorp

jwchameleoncorp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:14 PM

Hi Everyone, I am building two websites, www.newcenturycapital.com and www.hawaiianvacationvillas.com. I would like to use the RSS Feed icon/link. I thought the icon/link would automatically connect to my "post" page on each website (the "Press" tab for New Century Capital and the "News" tab for Hawaiian Vacation Villas) but when I click the link I get a 404 - Page Not Found. Both links take me to the following link: www.mywebsite.com/feed. However, I don't have a page named "Feed." When I try to re-assign the URL address as "/feed" for each post page, Wordpress automatically changes it to www.mywebsite.com/feed-2. I looked everywhere...I don't have a page called "Feed." Can anyone give me any ideas? Thank you! Jeff

#2 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:43 PM

check your permalinks?

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#3 jwchameleoncorp

jwchameleoncorp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:27 PM

Hey Adam, Thanks for the reply! I checked out the article and it just confused me more. No where did I see how to correct my problem. Any suggestions? Thanks! Jeff

#4 jwchameleoncorp

jwchameleoncorp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:18 AM

I found something that makes it even more confusing. I have a couple of other websites that I'm working on that do not have the same problems with the RSS Feed. The other websites are www.socialfilmnetwork.com and www.roadtripjunky.com. When you click on the RSS Feed Link on each website you will see that they work fine. I looked at the settings in my WP Admin/Dashboard for all of my websites and they are exactly the same. I've checked Google for solutions and looked at all the forums here on Pagelines but I haven't found any solutions. I can't figure out why the RSS Feed Link works on some of my sites and not at all on others. Anyone have suggestions? By the way, in case it matters, I use Platform Pro with WP 3.3 for all my websites. Thanks!

#5 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:26 AM

Hm, what are your actual feed links (i.e.

)? It might be possible to replace the default

link with your RSS feed URL...

#6 jwchameleoncorp

jwchameleoncorp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:53 AM

Hi Catrina, Thanks for responding. Honestly I'm not sure how to answer your question...I'm kinda new at this but learning as fast as I can! Here's what I can tell you... I haven't set up a 3rd party "feedburner" or anything like that. I assumed that Platform Pro (or Wordpress since it is a blogging platform) came preconfigured and equipped to make all that happen automatically. In other words, I thought the RSS Link was "prewired" to automatically work with your "posts page." I even created a static home page for Wordpress as described in this Wordpress tutorial

and designated my "post page" accordingly. The weird thing is that it works exactly as I assumed it would on some websites and not on others. If it's possible, I would like it to work the way I assumed it would (the way some of my sites have) so that I don't have to add another 3rd party app to the mix. Thanks for your insight!

#7 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:56 AM

Ah, yeah, that is true. WordPress does have RSS that is "pre-wired" and it should be

not

#8 jwchameleoncorp

jwchameleoncorp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:27 AM

Ok Ok...you're gonna laugh. This should give you some idea of how new I am at this. The only difference I noticed between the sites that are working correctly and the ones that aren't is that sites which are working correctly have comments on the "post page." So...I added a post on the "post page" for websites that were not working correctly and...wah-lah!...it works! Apparently the only way the RSS feed will work is when there is actually something to "feed"...duh! Now I feel like a complete retard...sorry for wasting everybody's time!