Photo
- - - - -

2 blog pages

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 hmcl

hmcl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 05:44 PM

Hi, I would like to have two blogs on my domain. One public, and one private for family related matters. The public blog is fine and works, but the private blog page on the same domain doesn't come to life. Now I've added a database to my server. I've added a second wp-config.php file with the new database's name. I've tried categorizing posts to have them show up on the different pages to no avail. I've looked at the forum Q&A, but I just can't grasp this. PageLines support was so kind to advise me the following: "I would say privatizing your blog posts and adding them to a category called family matters would be the best route. You can set up a page that links to the "family matters" category page which will basically give the appearance of two separate blogs." ... but I don't see how to set up such a page or how to exclusively link private posts to that page only. I would greatly appreciate some help. Thank you, hmcl

#2 hmcl

hmcl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:47 PM

Hi back again with some news. I should be doing this (quoting PageLines Support Staff): "You'll have to use a plugin called "Page Links To". Once activated, in the page editor you should see a panel to specify where the page links to. Just point that to your blog posts category that holds all your private posts." Well, that's going a bit fast. I'm aware about Page Links To, but here's the problem: Home: OK About: OK, static page Featured: The Blog, OK too Private (pwd protected): Looks like a static page. On Private page, Page Links To: The Private Page, but then the Private tab seems inactive. If I link to the Featured page then nothing really changes. Blog posts invariably show up on the Featured page. Could someone clarify please how to set up "[my] blog posts category that holds all [my] private posts"? And what else am I missing here? Cheers, hmcl

#3 jnoh

jnoh

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:41 AM

Hey hmcl. Let's rewind and go step by step. :) 1. Create a Category called "Family Matters" under "Posts > Category". Now whenever you create a post, set the post to private and to the category "Family Matters". Make sure all previous family posts are set to private and to that category also. 2. Now you should be able to visit the category page. A category page is the page that lists all the posts under that category. Copy the url to that category page. 3. Install and activate the Page Links To plugin. 4. Create a page called "Private" (you've already done this, "Private"). Paste the category URL that we copied earlier into the Page Links To field. Save Options. Now the only way people can view the posts are if they are logged in. **Note. Don't password protect the page. I hope that clears things up.

#4 hmcl

hmcl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:22 PM

Many thanks; I've asked a friendly developer to help me out and I think he did it in some other way. I'll try your suggestion on a second blog.