#1 ocean

ocean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Framework Version:Pagelines framework

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:06 AM

Using WordPress 3.0.1 and Platform Pro latest version Hi - I'll start by saying this isn't a Pagelines/Platform Pro issue. But If anyone has any ideas on it, I'd very much appreciate it. This is my six year old site:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

I want to change this over to WordPress on new hosting. (My new host has set up a temp url for me.) I want to copy the menu structure exactly. It's a drop down menu, but has no Parent category in the URLs of the pages. This is a page on my site that comes under the menu category, 'How do I make a website':

When I try to duplicate it with WordPress pages, it puts a Parent category in the URL:

I don't want to have the Parent in the URL. (I need to add a .php extension to match the old URLS, but have found a plugin for this.) (I can duplicate it exactly with posts, with permalinks etc, but I want a blog on my new site and don't want to use posts.) Sorry for the long post!

#2 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 May 2011 - 03:40 PM

You don't have to use any of the posts if you don't want to. Have you considered using the default pages instead? Those pages don't require any sort of category.

#3 ocean

ocean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:42 PM

Thanks Catrina The problem is that once you have sub-pages - the sub-pages receive a parent category in the URL. (I would do redirects to the changed URLS, but I,and other people I know, have had bad experience with losing rank/traffic with 301s in the past.)

#4 kastelic

kastelic

Advocate

• Members

• 3081 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:12 PM

Go to Appearance-Menus and create your own custom menu, then set it as the Primary Menu. This will allow you to put any page anywhere in the menu without any parent-child relationships. Remove any instance of "parent page" from the pages you have made.

#5 ocean

ocean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 12:08 AM

That worked perfectly - thanks so much Jimmy! I'm sure there's lots of people out there trying to convert old HTML sites to WordPress - great to know it can be done so easily.