• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 mark8213

mark8213

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:27 PM

When I write a post I want this post to sometimes show on the main page, but always be under the page that is related to that topic. Can you let me know how to do this.

#2 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 12:38 AM

If you have a page menu that links to certain categories it should do this automatically..except linking to the main page only at certain times would require a code hack.

#3 mark8213

mark8213

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:23 AM

Forgive me for my ignorance, this is my first site, and I am teaching myself, with what info I can find and just plain old figuring it out. I have a menu and a page and a category attached to that menu. However it does not allow the posts to show. I can still only see the posts on the main page.

#4 timlinson

timlinson

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1032 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:54 AM

I have a menu and a page and a category attached to that menu.

I'm not sure I follow what you're saying here. A link to your site would help us understand what you've tried so far.

Say you have a WP category called "Hobbies." The Hobbies category page will only show posts that have been marked by you as a Hobbies category. The blog page will show all posts from all categories.

You can go to Appearance > Menus and include a link to the Hobbies category page url, and then set it as your primary navigation in the dropdown menu. When you click on the Hobbies link in the nav, it will take you to the Hobbies category page that only contains Hobbies posts.

#5 joel

joel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:35 PM

Tim, I follow you, and this is what I've been trying to do with my page

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

but It won't do a dropdown menu for subcategories in the menu function. I used the other menu and like the look and feel of it but it only does pages not categories. Is there a way to 1) get the menu to drop down? 2) change the font size and style? 3) I would love the hover effect from the pagelines menu but that might be too much to ask.

#6 Kate

Kate

Advocate

• Members
  • 3039 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:17 PM

Hi Joel, You can manually add the subcategories using a custom menu.

#7 joel

joel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:19 PM

I used the WP menu option and the way it looks there are subcategories for the main menu. For instance I have Williams with many subcategories below it. Those aren't showing up. Which means i'm probably missing some step. any more tips Kate?

#8 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:43 PM

Did you enable the drop down menu option in Header and Nav options?

#9 joel

joel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:14 PM

Yes, all those 3 are checked

#10 joel

joel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:51 PM

This navigation is also the Posts Page secondary navigation. I don't know if that makes a difference.

#11 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 May 2011 - 02:17 AM

Yes, it does make a difference. The secondary navigation menu doesn't have dropdown capability. Only the primary navigation does.

#12 joel

joel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:36 PM

Has anyone had any success with custom menus based off categories? I'm trying to use the NAVT plugin but can't seem to get it to work correctly as there is no "mange" portion of WP now.

#13 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:48 AM

What is the "NAVT plugin" you're referring to? (I'm quite sure it's a typo...)

#14 joel

joel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 05:18 AM

It's this one:

#15 Kate

Kate

Advocate

• Members
  • 3039 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:20 PM

Hey Joel, With the sub menu items, you have to make sure that they are indented below the item you want them to be a child of. To do this, while looking at the menu edit screen, you grab one of the items and drag it to the right. Its new position will be highlighted/outlined. I just checked the code, and I see that the sub items aren't even being generated. Make sure of two things: first of all, that you've added the sub-category items. Second: you have to activate your custom menu. On the menu edit screen, in the left column there's a box titled "Theme Locations". Under the "Primary Website Navigation", choose the custom menu you created and select "save".

#16 joel

joel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 03:16 PM

Yeah, I've done all of that...uggg, this is frustrating.

#17 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 May 2011 - 04:23 PM

Are there any plugins you can deactivate?

#18 joel

joel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:46 PM

YES!! I think I finally figured it out! had some things switched incorrectly. Now to test it all with a bunch of posts and see how it goes. If you were local I would buy you all a beer (or more) tonight! THANKS EVERYONE!!! I apologize for my stupidity

#19 mark8213

mark8213

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 05:00 PM

I was having some of the same issues Joel was having and the questions he asked fixed that. The main issue I was having was when I make a post, has categories attached, the post will show up on the main page

, but not under the sub page. If you click the Paintball tab at the top there is not posts?!?!

#20 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 May 2011 - 05:40 PM

Mark, do you still need assistance with this or was the problem solved?