• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jenny20k

jenny20k

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:30 PM

Hi I'd like to have summaries of my latest posts on my home page and a "features" page which will have summaries of all the posts in the whole archive. I can't work out how to get two blog pages (aside from using categories). Anyone know? Thanks you!

#2 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:45 PM

If you need to show more than one category on a particular page we can use the query_posts function along with ah ook to target a particular page. Have you used a hook yet/before? Here is a sample of the function itself.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

A hook sample can be seen in the -Base functions.php file.

#3 jenny20k

jenny20k

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:52 PM

I'm not sure that's what I need - I basically want - the home page to be set as a posts summary page - but still be editable as a page. - I want all categories of post to show in the homepage but in summaries for the most recent 5 posts. The features page - - I'd like to be the same but for all posts ever published. Do I still want to use a hook? Thanks

#4 timlinson

timlinson

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1032 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:21 AM

If I understand correctly, you could manually set "Front Page" and "Posts Page" in Settings > Reading. You would set the "Posts Page" to be the "features page" you described. For the page that you set as "Front Page," you could use some `postfeed` shortcodes in its content, where offset = position from the most recent post (all posts, all categories): `[postfeed field="post_title" offset="0"]` `[postfeed field="post_content" offset="0"]` That's a built-in shortcode, but if you want more flexibility (or something else entirely), I think you'll have to go a plugin or hooks.