Photo
- - - - -

Changed to PHP Version 5 but theme still complaining

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 lyledp

lyledp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:31 PM

I'm trying the basic Whitehouse theme with WP 2.9. The options page is giving this warning: "You are using PHP version 4.3.11. Version 5 or higher is required for this theme to work correctly. Please check with your host about upgrading to a newer version." I've had my host upgrade my account to use PHP 5, but the warning continues to appear. Is there some way to cause the wp/theme to retest the php version to detect that ver 5 is being used? I've refreshed the browser page, logged out and logged back into wp admin. No go. I suspect this preventing me from updating Whitehouse options like the footer. Pasting GA snippet and saving options doesn't seem to save the pasted code. I've check using the appeareance editor to look at the footer code as well as viewing source of served blog page. Thanks

#2 jnoh

jnoh

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:17 AM

Interesting. Have you tried flushing the cache on your browser. Also try clicking Restore Default Options.

#3 lyledp

lyledp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:22 PM

Tried resetting browser cache. No change. Tried restoring default options. No change. Tried starting browser and logging back in as wp admin. No change. Any other ideas? I think I'll try switching themes next.

#4 lyledp

lyledp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:43 PM

Tried activating another theme, then reactivating WH theme. WH options still complains about the PHP version. Tried deleting WH theme. Cycled thru 2 other themes. Reinstalled WH and activiated it. No go. Tried deleting WH theme. Cycled thru 2 other themes. Installed iBlog2 and activiated it. It also complains about the PHP version. I'd like to use your themes but if we can't resolve this issue I'll have move on. I'm open to some other suggestions to fix the problem.

#5 tela

tela

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:36 PM

I'm having this same issue. Running PHP 5.2.9 but I'm still getting the upgrade nag on the Whitehouse pro Feature admin page. I'm using it on a WPMU install. Could this be causing a conflict?

#6 jnoh

jnoh

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:52 PM

hey lyledp email me at hello@pagelines.com so that I can help you further.

#7 lyledp

lyledp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 03:48 PM

I've discovered the problem, but don't have a satisfactory workaround yet. The problem, in my case (your situation may be different or a variation): I have a .htaccess file at the root level of the site. This file uses an AddHandler directive telling the webserver to handle any php code it finds in .html pages. The reason for this is a server-side app that executes php embedded in some html pages. The problem was that GoDaddy (the site's host) has apparently configured their servers to not handle php code found in .html pages. So to get their servers to handle php properly the handler directive was needed. But, PageLines themes (I've tried iBlog, WH) get confused by the .htaccess and end up seeing the wrong version of PHP. This is confirmed by renaming the .htaccess file. When that is done the PageLine themes are happy. But now the webserver doesn't handle php in html pages. Change the name back to .htaccess the themes are unhappy. Solutions: Here's 3 fixes I've thought of so far. Renaming .html pages to .php pages and then removing the .htaccess file will solve the problem. But, then any links to those pages (inbound and internal) would have to be corrected. Not great mature popular sites. If that's not an issue to you then this would work. Apparently .php and .html pages are equal in the minds of spiders. PageLines could examine why their themes get confused by this situation. Maybe that could be fixed. GoDaddy could reconfigure their webservers to handle php code in html pages without a special AddHandler directive for each such site. (I'll try this again, but they went not keen about it a couple of years ago when this issue was raised) Other solutions?

#8 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3252 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:12 PM

its most likely wordpress is getting confused by the PHP4/5 thing. The themes just run a `php_version` check to see which WP is running on.