• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 juss

juss

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 11:24 PM

Hi, I'd be grateful if someone could offer me some advice on a problem I've got that's probably very simple to resolve. I'm using the latest versions of Wordpress, Buddypress, bbPress and Platform Pro. When a user wants to register on my site: www.bristoldirectors.com, there appears two boxes for username. I find that a bit confusing, and understandably only want registrants to have to fill that out once. Can anyone tell me why it's asking for members to register two usernames? Many Thanks, Justin

#2 timlinson

timlinson

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1032 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:29 AM

Hey Justin, did you follow all the bbpress and deep integration instructions described here? http://www.pagelines.../bbpress-forums http://www.pagelines...docs/buddypress

#3 juss

juss

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:40 AM

Hi Tim, No, that's the first I've seen this. Is it necessary? I take it that basically bbPress isn't fully integrated into wordpress and buddypress, hence asking for the same registration details twice. All I've done is follow the instructions on the 'forum setup' section of the buddypress dashboard. bbPress now appears installed and you're able to post all you want in the forums without any other tinkering. I'm a novice to this, as you may have gathered. If I follow those instructions, will mean I will have to reinstall everything else? Luckily I haven't launched the site yet, so there are no new posts in the forums, but I take it that following that instruction page, will wipe the forums and start again? Apologies for being so dumb, just still getting my head around everything.

#4 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:34 PM

Well if you are using BuddyPress you likely just want them to register for BuddyPress and not for your WP install. The BuddyPress forums shouldn't need registration if the user is already a user for BuddyPress. What steps should we duplicate to see exactly what you are talking about?

#5 juss

juss

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:08 PM

Thanks Adam. If you click on the 'register' menu, you'll see the compulsory sign up box for 'username' twice on the forum. Once at the top and once at the bottom. It's clearly not fully integrated and I want to do this as per Tim's suggestions. However, before proceeding I need to know two things: 1. Will I have to start again with my whole bbPress install, or will it just work if I follow the deep integration part? 2. If as you say, I only need to get people to register for buddypress, would I not then have access to private user registration details, such as the registration email address? At present, I can only see this on this set up from their WP user details in dashboard. I need those details to verify the user, you see. Please imagine (it's not hard!) that I'm a really thicky in this area, as my knowledge has come purely from scrounging around on the internet, and it's been quite infuriating getting my head around all of this! Many thanks for your help! Justin

#6 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:02 PM

Hey Justin, Well the BuddyPress, WP, bbPress relationship isn't perfect. I do see that you have installed the sliding login bar which many users here have reported to work well with integrating logins. I would probably stick with that to be honest as it is also pretty intuitive.

#7 juss

juss

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:54 PM

Hi, yes, I would do, but if you try to register through that, it redirects you to the registration page and the double username error all over again. :(

#8 juss

juss

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:14 PM

bump!

#9 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:35 PM

I went through the reg process and never saw two forms. I did however, get to the page that says

There was an error activating your account, please try again.

and wants me to provide an activation key. Where is the double reg form though?

#10 juss

juss

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 05:12 PM

Hi, Thanks, it was never two forms, but two boxes. Basically the username and full name boxes. I still can't get rid of one or the other, so have just renamed the full name box to 'pseudonym/real name', but that's not ideal for me. Unsure why you got that warning? It's the first time I've heard of it with all the test registrations I'm trying out.... interesting.

#11 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 April 2011 - 05:21 PM

We'll rule out hiding using CSS since the box is required. I just tried registering and it worked for me...

#12 juss

juss

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:50 PM

Thanks for trying it out Catrina.

#13 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:45 PM

Well this may solve one of your problems then, but I'm not sure if it actually removes that field from registration: http://buddypress.or...usernames-only/

#14 juss

juss

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:31 AM

Thanks Adam, you're right though, it won't remove the field from registration. I've given up on that front.

#15 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:27 PM

Are you just going to leave it alone for the time being?