• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pastorblue

pastorblue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:02 PM

Hi, I am new to Platform Pro and to WordPress. First of all I tried to run the 1.3.3 update and got this: Warning: require_once(/home/llysygro/public_html/wp-content/themes/platformpro/core/core.init.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/llysygro/public_html/wp-content/themes/platformbase/functions.php on line 8 Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/llysygro/public_html/wp-content/themes/platformpro/core/core.init.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/php52/pear') in /home/llysygro/public_html/wp-content/themes/platformbase/functions.php on line 8 Secondly, I obviously need some basic Wordpress help. I was seduced by the 'drag and drop' ad but basically I feel I have wasted my money Graham

#2 pastorblue

pastorblue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:09 PM

OK, I managed the update at last. I used the method outlined in Pagelines docs, whereas before I tried a sticky post somewhere round here that I obviously misunderstood. Still need help with the basics though. Been through the docs, watched the videos. Often the docs are close to incomprehensible! Graham

#3 cmunns

cmunns

Advocate

• Members

• 6537 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:53 PM

Graham, It can be difficult to conquer two items at once, which is essentially what you're doing. WordPress is hard enough at times to navigate and we've added tons of things on top of that...but we have to start somewhere so what can I help clarify for you? We definitely want to help you through it.

#4 pastorblue

pastorblue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:25 PM

Thanks Adam. I have some knowledge of HTML and CSS but most of the work I have done has been using Freeway Pro or Rapidweaver. Saw a plug for Platform Pro that stressed the drag and drop aspect and having paid $95 I am stuck. I want to build a simple website, a blog page, another with a few photos and a couple of articles, another to display some photos. Can't get the feature slide going, can't do something simple like get the navigation button area colored, can't understand why the 'home' page isn't visible as a page in the WordPress setup. I am searching for a basic WordPress introduction which I obviously need.But another major problem is your docs. For example, the video on the feature slide doesn't tell you simply how to set it up. It does say 'we made the feature slide a custom post type.' What the hell does that mean? Graham

#5 pastorblue

pastorblue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:28 PM

By the way, on the feature slide docs page this was posted two months ago: I don't get it. I don't understand this at all and I'm extremely frustrated. I've tried 10 different approaches and it still isn't working. You say it's really easy, but yes, if you already know how to do it. The description couldn't be anymore confusing. Multiple arrows pointing at boxes that don't appear when I activate the features options. How big should the photos be? Where should they be kept? Do they need special tags? Are they the featured photos I'm already using on posts or pages or do they need to be tagged differently? Be specific. Show us step by step the easiest way to add our photos to the slider. Then, introduce more advance options. All of Pagelines tutorials and docs look fantastic, better than fantastic - but they don't address the simple fact that those of us who purchase these themes, don't know as much as you do. We're busy trying to add content, not develop the next great theme! Exactly what I want to say! Graham

#6 kastelic

kastelic

Advocate

• Members

• 3081 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 11:28 PM

Don't take this the wrong way, but "Wordpress for Dummies" is a great introduction to Wordpress which could help clear up a lot for you. After that, come here with specific questions and we can help you. Its much better to post a single question in a thread, so we can follow it through. Feel free to post multiple threads if you have multiple questions.

#7 pastorblue

pastorblue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 04:50 PM

Thanks Jimmy, No offence taken! I have been looking on Amazon at the books and I will certainly take your advice. You are quite right about the multiple questions as well. I guess I am just frustrated with this but doubtless it will be sorted out.