Photo
- - - - -

EcoPro + WP 3.0 multisite -- How to create default home page link for network?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 words247gmailcom

words247gmailcom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:07 PM

So, there is the Network home page, which is THE main home page, and then there are individual sites within the network. Currently, there is no way for a VISITOR to get back to the Network home page when in one of the sub-sites other than typing the URL into the address bar. At a WordPress forum, I was told to look for the header php file and where there is a reference to the blog url, changing it to the Network URL home page would make that a default for the sub-sites as well. I found the header.php code for my EcoPro install, but I'm not comfortable changing anything. I see RSS code url but I don't see anything I'm comfortable changing that would make a home page a network-wide default. Can someone advise how to do this? Whether via a menu tab or a logo hyperlink, I need for visitors to the site to be able to get back to the Network home page, after they've visited any of the sub-sites.

#2 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:17 PM

Take a look at line 71 of header.php `

#3 words247gmailcom

words247gmailcom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:35 PM

Thanks, Simon, but could I trouble you to be more specific? I'm a newbie and can edit existing code but rarely know how to insert new. What exactly would I insert there to indicate that a certain menu tab on each site takes people back to the Network home page? :)

#4 arpowers

arpowers

Founder

• Administrators
  • 3271 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA
  • Framework Version:2.3

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:19 AM

You could just add a static link, with whatever text you want, and it would take them where you want. Multisite is generally an advanced type of customization. Do you have a specicif technical feat you'd like to achieve?

#5 words247gmailcom

words247gmailcom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 11:25 AM

Hi, Andrew. My goal is to make it so visitors to the network can always get back to the Home page of the network itself. Say they visit the network for the first time -- myblogsite.com -- and then they check out some of the blogs at the network (myblogsite.com/JohnDoe, myblogsite.com/JaneDoe). I want there to be a default way for site templates for them to click either a logo or menu tab that takes them back to the Network home page. I realized overnight that doing this in EcoPro is a mute point, as I don't plan for this to be used as a site template. It's the Network template instead. Sorry for the confusion (but I'm very confused! LOL). :)

#6 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:47 PM

So you want to create a site template for the blogs in your network that will include a logo/menu tab in a specific area on the page? If the network home page is something like a "splash page" for visitors to see, perhaps that can be a static page (unless I'm understanding you incorrectly).

#7 words247gmailcom

words247gmailcom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:56 PM

There would be a better way of doing it with if you search for adding a home link to wp_nav_menu using add_filter, then dropping the file into mu-plugins to have it loaded on every blog automatically, but that's a bit more advanced.

Hi, Everyone who replied above. :)

Simon, this sounds like what I want, but it also sounds like I can't do it myself. Oh well...

I was hoping to have an automatic way of making sure that whatever theme is installed on a new user site in my network, it would have a link back to my network home page.

I'm thinking that selecting one theme that has a few style variations is the way to go. That way I can figure out (!) how to insert the code for a link back to the Network home page.

Catrina, you're right. It is a landing page of sorts. But I am SO in love with EcoPro and have been for a long time, that I'm desperately trying to figure out how to use this for that Network "portal," so to speak.

:)

#8 kastelic

kastelic

Advocate

• Members

• 3081 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 11:42 PM

You say it could be a menu tab? Why not just make a custom menu tab (Assuming you are using a custom menu from Appearance -> Menus), title it how you want, and paste the full url of your main site into its url field?

#9 words247gmailcom

words247gmailcom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 02:39 PM

Hi, Jimmy :) Yes, I guess that's what I will have to do with each new user site. Go in and create that custom tab back to the Network home page. I was just wondering if there was an automatic way of doing this...within a theme's code or something. As you can tell, I am NOT a programmer, so I don't understand what all can and can't be done...easily, at least. Thanks! :)

#10 Simon_P

Simon_P

Messer

• Administrators

• 8388607 posts
  • LocationDevon
  • Framework Version:2.1.1

Posted 26 March 2011 - 02:59 PM

Here is a code snippet

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Create a php file in your mu-plugins folder and paste the code into it. It will automatically be included in every blog.

#11 words247gmailcom

words247gmailcom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 03:30 PM

Thank you so much, Simon! :)

#12 catrina

catrina

Advocate

• Members
  • 12345 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:33 PM

I was just wondering if there was an automatic way of doing this...within a theme's code or something. As you can tell, I am NOT a programmer, so I don't understand what all can and can't be done...easily, at least. <- Have you considered using Custom Menus?