Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Where's my subnav 1.3.1?

Question

Posted · Report post

Upgraded to 1.3.1. I have not enabled dropdown menues. But before the sub-menues where shown below the main menu when you clicked an item. Now there is nothing? Is there a new setting I am missing?

11 answers to this question

Posted · Report post

Sub menus are now managed with the secondary nav section . It allows you to use meta options to select a menu that you've created under the 'menus' panel.

Posted · Report post

I'm having this same problem and have tried a bunch of things to no avail. I added the Sub Navigation Section to my Header Template and looked in the Menu WP page to see if there were any obvious things to change to enable the subnav, but didn't see anything. I have one menu created that has two levels; the drop downs work fine, but when I click on one item, it no longer displays the subnav. Any specific settings to adjust? Thanks. halseyburgund.com

Posted · Report post

There is a meta setting on pages and posts, and one under blog settings for 'posts' pages. The setting allows you to 'select' a WP menu to use as secondary navigation Super easy once you see it.

Posted · Report post

yeah, I saw those, but was hoping that there would be something a bit more automatic like it used to be. before, I set up one menu with two tiers and the second tier was displayed below the main nav whenever I clicked on any of the second tier links. and whichever page was active was conveniently highlighted in the subnav. it was all very neat and straight-forward. I'm not sure if I understand this correctly, but it seems that I now have to build additional menus and assign them to individual pages rather than using the handy tiering method provided by WP. Is this the case that everything is more manual for building subnavs now, or am I still missing something?! Thanks!

Posted · Report post

@Halsey, yes, the new way is WAY more CMS friendly as it doesn't rely on WP page hierarchy. With the old way it was impossible to have the same page in two sub navigations, for example.

Posted · Report post

OK, thanks for letting me know. I certainly see how this method is more flexible, albeit a little harder to setup...no biggie, I've got it all working fine at this point. appreciate the help.

Posted · Report post

i want to set up the same thing but I don't have the optino beyond "-select-" there is no other option showing and i do have sub navs? Any help?

Posted · Report post

The problem with this new sub nav in 1.3.1 is that the selected subnav is not highlighted or any other indication of what subnav is currently active.

Posted · Report post

Yeah dude this new subnav is for the birds. At least make it an optional change.

Posted · Report post

Is there even any documentation on how to do this? It was automatic before. Help.

Posted · Report post

I think I'm understanding it now... Sorry for the lashing out, it totally threw me off and I panicked.