• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 interfuel

interfuel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:00 PM

I would like to specify my feature slides according to post category. I've figured out that I can display the feature slider on post category pages in: iBlogPro > Theme Options > Feature Settings > Pages and Posts > Features On Blog/Posts Page > [CHECK] Show feature template on posts page This works great for showing the Feature Slider on category posts pages, but I have no way of controlling which slide displays on which category. It's all or nothing, it seems. I can specify Page IDs in: iBlogPro > Feature Setup > [MY FEATURE SLIDE] > Display Pages (optional) Which pages should show this feature slide > Page IDs - Comma Separated Is there not a similar option for Category IDs? Alternately, if this is not an option, is there a way to associate posts and categories with pages? For example, since I can specify which slide to use on any given Page ID, can I then associate a given category of posts to that Page ID as well? If so, I can specify a Page ID to a given feature slide, and then assign a category of posts to that page. Appreciate any clues. So far not finding anything specific to this in the iBlog forum.

#2 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:33 AM

Off the top of my head you could create a page for a category so you can control the feature and then pull in the posts with a plugin:

http://wordpress.org...rch.php?q=posts

Other than that, for an ideal solution may require some advanced customization help from a pro.

Thanks, Bryan

#3 interfuel

interfuel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:51 PM

I have a potential custom workaround in process. Will post an overview here in a few days.

#4 interfuel

interfuel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:38 PM

Ok, here is my solution for those interested: 1) Since there isn't a way to display a unique Feature Slide on Categories or Posts (it's all or nothing on Cats/Posts), I had to abandon using the Cat/Post structure for my content and use WordPress Pages instead. So wherever a unique feature slide displays, that content is now a Page, not a Category or Post. 2) Quoting you, Bryan, you said that I, "could create a page for a category," but according to the WordPress codex, this is not possible: http://codex.wordpress.org/Pages > Pages in a Nutshell > "Pages cannot be associated with Categories..." Sorry to put you on the spot, but if you know of a way around this, I'm interested. 3) Since I need to use the Cat/Post structure so that my client can assign content across categories, per their wish, I had to get Posts and Categories associated with Pages so that unique feature slides could be assigned to various content. For associating Posts with Pages, I installed the Inline Posts Plugin: http://aralbalkan.com/wordpress. So in the end, Posts can be added to their respective Categories, and then displayed on my Pages, displaying a unique Feature Slide, per the Inline Posts Plugin. This works, though it is slightly on the cumbersome side. If there is a way to associate unique Feature Slides with Categories in future releases of this theme, it certainly would be on my wish list. ;) Best, Frank

#5 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 01:57 AM

Hey, thanks for sharing David. Just earned your first karma point. Thanks, Bryan

#6 interfuel

interfuel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:55 PM

Thanks for the rep! Unfortunately, this issue persists. We really would like to be able to specify unique features on Post Categories not just on Pages. Any clues on how we can change this? /iblogpro4_dev/core/admin/admin_functions.php or there about? The admin setting is in iBlogPro Feature Setup > [My Feature Slide] > Display Pages (optional) > Page IDs - Comma Separated. Would like to specify Category IDs instead. Thanks, Frank

#7 bryan-hadaway

bryan-hadaway

Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3697 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 04:06 AM

I don't believe that this is possible without customization. The next big step for the themes is to become child themes for PlatformPro so they pack the punch of all those features. Thanks, Bryan

#8 holly

holly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:07 PM

I was also looking for a solution to this problem, I decided just to use pages with Boxes that link to the articles, its extra work but it dose the trick.