• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 koawinter

koawinter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:57 PM

First off let me say that I find this theme amazing, I really liked it when I saw it and would love to use it to it's fullest potential. However, I am a very poor coder (I know the basics and can follow instructions easily enough). So let me start with the first question and continue on. I have the developer version of Platform Pro because I wanted to use the forums as well. I use Bluehost and SimpleScripts. 1. Is it recommended to install wordpress and bbpress using SimpleScripts? If so, should BBpress be installed into a different directory like public_html/forum/? I have tried numerous times to do this and integrate but I just have so many issues and have read many many forums and articles, etc... maybe I just don't get it. 2. How do I integrate properly and should this be done before or after installing the theme... this leads to another question. 3. Which theme should I use? Child theme? How does child theme help me customize? OR should I be using the developer theme? I know that this might take some time to answer, but these are the questions that are prohibiting me from correctly using this great piece of art that you have created here. Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated. (And I will have some more questions /smile) P.S. - I don't find the Docs sections relatively helpful, video format is to hard to find what I need. Good to have, but not to find things in.

#2 kastelic

kastelic

Advocate

• Members

• 3081 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:34 PM

Hi, I hope i can clear things up a bit for you. 1. I have never used SimpleScrips but I've used similar ones (like fantastico) and have found them to be a great timesaver. Just make sure that their loading the latest version of Wordpress. For the bbPress installation I would recommend following the Pagelines instructions to do this:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

2. You can do this after your theme is installed. 3. The child theme is recommended for extensive customization. It basically contains copies of some of the same files in the core theme. You can edit them all you want and wont lose edits upon upgrade.